Renwick inspired stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
A couple months ago I picked up some 8/4 Maple from Bobby G. When I broke it down I had a short piece that I couldn't use for it's original intended purpose. I have been wanting to make something like the Renwick Stool ever since Shamrock posted his excellent example.

The drop wasn't quite big enough to make the full sized version so I went with a smaller step stool. It is just the right size for my younger children's bathroom so they can reach the sink :).

The dovetails are cut by hand. I did a terrible job off the saw so it took me quite a while to fit them. And in the end they are a little gaptacular but it fits the rest of the construction :). For example I rounded the "legs" with a spokeshave. I left the tool marks from the shave for extra character.

The curve on the under side of the top of the stool was roughed out with a rabbet plane and shaped with a scraper I made out of an old handsaw. I was surprised how easy it was to hack up the old saw, grind the profile I wanted, hone the edge and turn a burr. It won't be the last time I use that technique.

Thanks for looking!
Salem

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great job, Salem. Love to see hand-crafted items.:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Salem,

That is great! You never cease to amaze me with how much you get done per unit time. And... you're constantly reaching too. Way to go!

bobby g

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work there, Salem!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Sure looks solid and will last many years plus draw a bunch of positive reviews I bet.

Wayne

eyekode

New User
Salem
Heh, it is like my lawn. If you take a picture of it from the side it looks good. If you stand on it you see the holes :).
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS