Relocating for retirement

Hjanes

Harlan
User
Hello, Ed,

I can second Ernie's recommendation of Cypress Landing and add fresh/salt water fishing and boating to his list; 25 miles to the Intracoastal Waterway; and high ground not requiring flood insurance. We're pleased with our decision 22 years ago for a place to get old and avoid the winters of Chicagoland. And do some woodworking.

Harlan

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Downstate was a unfamiliar term. I grew up in Schenectady County and moved to NC from Ulster County nearly 55 years ago. I always thought everything North of NYC was considered “Upstate” but now I see that Ulster County is just outside of the “Downstate” region.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Hi Ed -

My wife and I moved to Charlotte area with an eye toward retirement - I’m thinking end of 2023 currently. We came from SoCal, so my take on traffic is probably different from most and I think Charlotte is easy.

We live west of the city in the Steele Creek area by Lake Wylie. The development is known as Sanctuary and the lots are large to us (that SoCal thing again). I just built my shop and am in the process of moving into it and getting set up. We have good hospitals / medical, shopping, etc. very close, and the pace of life is much easier.

Strange as it sounds, we looked for a community with an HOA that holds social events because we moved here sight unseen during pandemic and needed a way to meet people since we didn’t know anyone either. I’d say if you look at Charlotte, get 15 - 20 miles out of the city (we are 17) and you can find some opportunities. Charlotte is still growing, so you have to think about location in that regard.

Good luck,
John

thegator

New User
Andrew
Shopping and woodworking, the Raleigh, Apex, Cary, Holly Springs area. Klingpors and Woodcrafters nearby. Shopping all over the place plus Duke and UNC hospitals.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
+1 on the doctors

When I transferred from Columbia to Charlotte we moved very close to the NC/SC state line but stayed in SC because of the lower taxes. SC does not tax SS, not sure about NC and property taxes are much lower. Gas is also much lower because of taxes.

Someone mentioned Lexington, SC. Great place if you are OK with gnats driving you crazy.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
We moved here from NE Ohio 15 years ago. One of the best decisions of our lives!
We live north of Fayetteville. We do go to Ohio to visit friends in the summer, late summer, when its warm there.

teesquare

T
Senior User
SC - the Upstate region which includes Greenville and Spartanburg - is 35-40% LOWER total cost of housing, cost of living and taxes than Western NC. Had I known that prior to building a house in NC, I would have bought land just across the state line.....

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
SC - the Upstate region which includes Greenville and Spartanburg - is 35-40% LOWER total cost of housing, cost of living and taxes than Western NC. Had I known that prior to building a house in NC, I would have bought land just across the state line.....
That's why Fort Mill and Indian Land can't keep pace with the growth in their towns now. But that's not usually an issue on a retirement relocation premise.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Ed - Most people will want you to live where they do, of course. I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia just 2 miles across the NC state line above Mt. Airy, NC. We always did our "big city" shopping in Winston Salem or Greensboro. You say that you don't like the cold, so I hope that you like the hot! My house growing up was 1500 feet higher elevation than Winston. In the summer, going to Winston was like entering a sauna that was on fire. I exaggerate a little bit, but living in a cool climate and moving to the low elevation areas on NC will be a big change for you in the summer time, so be ready. I won't even mention the inferno known as Charlotte:) I still live in Virginia but about 45 miles from the state line now.

teesquare

T
Senior User
Can anyone refer me to a real estate agent in the Murphy/Hayesville area?
Don't know anyone in the Western "hinterlands"...Just teasing - I like Murphy and the area - but be prepared to really make a long day trip to get to much of the important things, like medical care of high quality....Were I in your position - I would seriously look at Johnson City TN. Or within an hour or so from either Asheville NC or Greenville SC. These are the 2 best cost/benefit areas. The differences in them are climate and scenery in the immediate area with eh Greenville SC region being more gentle rolling and lower altitude and Johnson City TN area being higher altitude and a mountain scenery gem - with cooler clime. It still gets plenty warm in the summer.

teesquare

T
Senior User
That's why Fort Mill and Indian Land can't keep pace with the growth in their towns now. But that's not usually an issue on a retirement relocation premise.
I would never recommend the urban sprawl, over-stuffed, traffic filled areas around Charlotte to anyone. I don't hate it - I escaped there about 20 years ago.....;). And I go back to visit, as it is only about 2 hours to "the madness" from here.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bee
I would never recommend the urban sprawl, over-stuffed, traffic filled areas around Charlotte to anyone. I don't hate it - I escaped there about 20 years ago.....;). And I go back to visit, as it is only about 2 hours to "the madness" from here.
Been living around CLT for 65+ years so I've seen the growth take place. You might say this frog has been in this pot long enough to be cooked. I've learned where - and when - to go to get what I need. Good point above about medical care and such. When you try to 'get away from it all', those are some of the 'its' that you need to consider. Living rural does require a lifestyle adjustment for most people. Getting groceries isn't usually an everyday thing, just have to allocate a day to go 'into town' to get everything you need for the week - or month - depending on your location......

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Don't know anyone in the Western "hinterlands"...Just teasing - I like Murphy and the area - but be prepared to really make a long day trip to get to much of the important things, like medical care of high quality....Were I in your position - I would seriously look at Johnson City TN. Or within an hour or so from either Asheville NC or Greenville SC. These are the 2 best cost/benefit areas. The differences in them are climate and scenery in the immediate area with eh Greenville SC region being more gentle rolling and lower altitude and Johnson City TN area being higher altitude and a mountain scenery gem - with cooler clime. It still gets plenty warm in the summer.
Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I‘ve heard the Asheville area is expensive.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I‘ve heard the Asheville area is expensive.
Asheville does have higher real estate prices for elevated areas with spectacular views, but smaller towns within 15-25 miles of Asheville are much more affordable, like Hendersonville where I live. And as I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, lots of key amenities for the retiree.

teesquare

T
Senior User
My pleasure. Have business in Hendersonville and live in between Hendersonville and Brevard. Feels remote - but 7 minutes to Lowe's and Brevard - 20 minute to hendersonville and 30 minutes to S. Asheville. Search Transylvania Co. NC....No, not kidding....:p

teesquare

T
Senior User
Bee

Been living around CLT for 65+ years so I've seen the growth take place. You might say this frog has been in this pot long enough to be cooked. I've learned where - and when - to go to get what I need. Good point above about medical care and such. When you try to 'get away from it all', those are some of the 'its' that you need to consider. Living rural does require a lifestyle adjustment for most people. Getting groceries isn't usually an everyday thing, just have to allocate a day to go 'into town' to get everything you need for the week - or month - depending on your location......
I grew up in the farm and ranch "fly over" part of Texas ( Jeez how I hate that denigrating expression...;):)) where our quality of life was far greater than the lack of modernity was. And I have lived/worked in many areas of the world. Here is what I have learned: The artificial contrivances we call "cities" are considered the centers of "civilization". That is a blatant lie. Because people are far less civil to one another in cities than those of us who grew up in locations where we were not forced upon others by proximity. That is - when folks are not crowded up together, I believe that the sub-dural stress of day to day life is much less. The net result is a quiet, more relaxed life. And - while I like where I live, and I love all you people out here in the East.....there is just TOO MANY of you for me to completely relax.:D:D:D. So about 3-4 times a year - per my unwritten prenup agreement with the Mrs. T - I get in my truck and I go WEST.....when I get to where the country side flattens out, and I can see where I am driving to tomorrow thru today's windshield....and only a few pronghorn and tumbleweeds between me and the curvature of the Earth at the horizon.....I am at peace. Again - I am not "anti-people". I just think we have not learned to spread out enough and allow for healthy "elbow room.".:cool:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors