Rehab drumsander paper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I was sanding some fairly oily exotics today - leopardwood and zebrawood - and the paper on my Woodmaster drum sander now has a bad case of resin build up. Looks like the leopardwood is the culprit, since the buildup is the same color.

I've used the heck out of my crepe block, but the buildup is still really bad. If I stop the drum and manually scrub using the crepe, the build up slowly goes away, but it's s-l-o-w.

Is there any other way to remove the buildup ?

-Mark

Phil Thien

New User
Phil
I read on another site (and haven't tried this) that FWW had a tip that plexiglass (acrylic, I guess, but again I'd find the article or more information to make sure it isn't polycarbonate) will remove resin buildup. Apparently you use it just like the eraser.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I know of a cabinet shop owner who cleans belts (cloth backed as Bas pointed out) with Easy Off. This is nasty stuff (NaOH, or lye), so you would need to be careful. I've not tried it myself in this application, but having used it on saw blades before, I have no doubt it would cut through the resin fast.

If you try it, just be sure to do it outside, wear protective eyeware, and be sure the kids and the dog are elsewhere.

I'm anxious to hear what you finally try and how it worked.

Matt

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I've used diluted greased lightening with success. Any of the alkaline liquid cleaners will work just figure out which one you have around the house/shop and go to it. Just spray it on, let it sit awhile, then brush with a medium to firm brush before it dries. Let belt dry, reinstall it and keep on sanding. On my wide belt sander belts I have rinsed with a garden hose but it takes a long time for the belt to dry after that much water.
Rob

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I read on another site (and haven't tried this) that FWW had a tip that plexiglass (acrylic, I guess, but again I'd find the article or more information to make sure it isn't polycarbonate) will remove resin buildup. Apparently you use it just like the eraser.

I've been doing this plexiglass thing and it works a little better than the rubber stick ... but don't expect any miracles :cool: ... and get ready for the not-so wonderful smell of melting plexi! :gar-La;

Glennbear

Glenn
I have used Citrus based cleaners and Simple Green on cloth belts to remove pitch and it has given me a fair amount of success. :wsmile:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've had the same problem and just hold on to the good sections of the paper for hand sanding. I'll have to try the Simple Green approach.

Has anyone used this product? Looks like something you use to prevent loading. Some kind of Stearate?:

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=110-021

LUBRICANT CAN DOUBLE THE LIFE OF YOUR SANDING BELTS OR DISCS
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]MAGLUBE® Solid Block Lubricant really works and is completely biodegradable, safe and can double the life of abrasive belts or discs:

Keeps sandpaper clean and sharp longer - won't spot or stain wood.
Gently rub on for immediate results.
1-3/8"H x 2-3/4"W x 1-13/16"D block; 2" dia. x 9" tube.
Best results are achieved when used in combination with an abrasive cleaning stick.
USA.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
For those of you who use cloth back sandpapers. I worked for American Woodmark Cabinet company for almost 10 years and we had a machine that we put our used belts in that just basically would turn the belts and there was a very stiff bristle brush that was hooked up to a pipe that carried the solution of simple green and water or orange clean and water. The belt would be turning at one speed as the brush and solution was running on a piece of all thread and would move from side to side. It would clean those belts like new except for a real bad burn spot. I have several of those belts that they gave away and I clean them with simple green and a good scrub brush. If they are clogged very bad just let them soak awhile and the resin will loosen right up. Hope this helps. Steve P.S. Mean Green from the Dollar General stores works just as good as any of the above mentioned cleaners at a fraction of the cost and we used a 4 to 1 ratio when diluting.

M

McRabbet

Sounds like Stevie and other have the best "solutions" for loosening the gummed up material on the belts -- I've actually had pretty good results on my Woodmaster drum sander with a plain old wire brush after I did a pass or two with the rubber crepe belt cleaner. The wire brush removed bigger pieces of the gum and the belt didn't seem to suffer. I'll try some diluted Simple Green the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors