Refurbished Park Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
When we moved into our house there was a delapidated park bench in the woods. I disassembled it, scraped the rought iron and repainted it. I used some cypress I picked up from Alan in Little Washington. I cut it to size drilled and countersunk the holes and rouned the front and top edges. All the cypress was coated with polyurethane. LOML and I are happy.

Doug

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/607/medium/P101000320.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P101000417.JPG

P.S. I hope I understood DaveO's insturctions on how to insert pictures. :eusa_pray

P.P.S. OK only the links showed up. What did I do worng?

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job on the bench, Doug. Scraping isn't fun. In fact, I've got a couple of old metal beds that need scraping....when can I bring them over?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice looking bench Doug, you resurected it well.
If you use the Insert Image button in the reply menu (yellow box with mountains and a moon) and paste the URl of the picture into the blank provided the pictures will show up in the post. I think the you just copy/pasted the pic URL straight into the text of the reply

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice looking bench Doug, you resurected it well.
If you use the Insert Image button in the reply menu (yellow box with mountains and a moon) and paste the URl of the picture into the blank provided the pictures will show up in the post. I think the you just copy/pasted the pic URL straight into the text of the reply

Dave, I tried that on my reply to Doug's message but got the red X in the boxes. Here is another attempt...
...P101000320.JPG

I just deleted the "blank" images at that point....:dontknow::dontknow:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Spiffy work on the park bench, Doug. I am sure some of your neighbors will think it is store-bought new.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
P101000320.JPG

P101000417.JPG

I don't know what y'all are doing differently. The URL of what you are posting is trunicated so I can't see if you're getting it right.
Rob (McRabbet) is working on a tutorial right now that will probably explain it much better than I can and it will have visual aids too :icon_thum
Once you get the hang of it, it is really simple. It's just a matter of following the steps. After a few "insertions" it becomes second nature. If I can do it anyone can learn how to do it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work, Doug!:eusa_danc:icon_thum

I don;t believe I have seen one of these benches with the "wood framed" back before.:wsmile:

Cypress sure looks nice!

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking bench Doug! LOML bought a couple at a store not too long ago, definitely not "vintage craftsmanship" but they looked OK. Already the wood is starting to rot out. I may just have to follow your example here.

Oh, and the bench looks real comfy too!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good lookin' bench. Bet you'll enjoy it more'n one o' those BORG specials!:thumbs_up Probably last a lot longer too!
Tutorials are greatly appreciated 'round here. Just got off the phone with my 82yo mom trying to explain 'copy & paste' while she wrote it down. You guys have my sympathy dealing with old folks on this stuff. I think I was one of the few people @ WW show Sat. that knew what those old slide rules were for. :gar-La;

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Hats off to you, Doug, that's a pretty cool gesture!! :icon_thum

Man, it looks beautiful! Great job.

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's in the tool bar above the text box when making a new post or reply. It's in the bottom row, just right of center. If you drag your mouse over it it says "Insert Image". Yellow square.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Oh WOW!!! I see it!! I had no idea that was there!! :eusa_danc:icon_chee:drunken_s

Thanks,

Doug

P.S. Gonna miss you on saturday (Jimmy C just told me).

newtonc

New User
jak
Very coincidental.
I picked up 4 benches,2 just like that and 2 with humminbirds on them,from the garbage of an ice cream parlor on NJ's Long Beach Island, about 5 years ago.We were living In PA at the time and my parents have a place on LBI.
Other than being completely weather beaten,they were in (loose, but)solid shape.I did the same thing.I did wire wheel off the wrought iron with an angle gringer for what felt like hours.A few of the bolts I had to grind off thanks to that salt water air.But the wood was all oak that simply needed sanding and sealing.
I kept one of each and gave the 2 others to my sister.Mine are both sitting next to our jungle gym and used almost daily while the kids are at play.
Nice job by the way.
And as far as pictures go...I have no idea any more.I'm confused.I have gathered what I WAS doing was apparently wrong.And I'm lost now.I guess I'm not posting anymore.I'm a woodworker,although literate to a point on computers...I'm now lost on posting.And I could never figure out how to post pictures on replies before anyway.

M

McRabbet

<snip>
And as far as pictures go...I have no idea any more. I'm confused. I have gathered what I WAS doing was apparently wrong. And I'm lost now. I guess I'm not posting anymore. I'm a woodworker, although literate to a point on computers...I'm now lost on posting. And I could never figure out how to post pictures on replies before anyway.
Well, just try to work your way through this new Thread and see if you can do it after reading. :jiggy::biggrin::twitcy::laugh: We think you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS