Refinishing a desk

Lowespro2

Nick
Senior User
A family member recently gave us an older roll top desk that needs a little touch up work.

In taking the desk apart into its different components, I have found the desk top is made of plywood with a hardwood veneer that has numerous scratches. I do not want to sand the top completely down to refinish it in fear of burning through the veneer and fear of not being able to match the finish to the rest of the desk. I have a gel stain that matches the existing finish enough that when used on the scratches it blends in, but I think if I did too large of an area using it that it would stand out from the existing finish. The scratches are really only an issue on the horizontal writing surface. I’m trying to figure out how to get a uniform finished surface so you can write on a piece of paper without the existing scratches showing up through the paper. I also want to select a durable finish so writing won’t create new indentations.

My question to you all is: how would you accomplish getting a uniform solid surface on the desk top? Do you think I need to flood the top with an epoxy type finish that will fill the scratches or can I build it back even with fillers and polyurethane type finish?

Thanks,

Nick

Howie

New User
Howie
1674334914048.png

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Had a plant that was over watered and of course the chip board swelled on the top of my roll top.
Replaced the top with lumber, but unlike your situation mine was fairly new and had no issue with the finishing.
Good luck with filling, as I have never color matched perfectly. Heavy bodied finish might be the solution, but I have never attempted that.
Salutations from the republic, Ed

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Use Howie’s solution for the scratches. This is what should be used on a wooden desktop. Refinish as usual.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS