Redwood

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
did you ask Coleman (Klingspor) or the Hardwood store?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I didn't ask Coleman but I did look on the Hardwood Store website
It is not I on the website - I looked too, give them a call - if they don't have it - they or Coleman may have suggestions for you...

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
check with Glenn at GPS, Kernersville

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I looked online and didn't see it listed but I just sent them an email inquiring about it.

If you call them ask for Cheryl. Make sure you mention you are from NCWW. We get a small discount but it all helps.

I know I have gotten Western Red Cedar there.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
California Redwood is not commonly found here on the East coast but it can be special ordered by many NC suppliers. I'm guessing that you don't need many board feet (???)

These folks could probably UPS a small quantity for you.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Redwood, like some other Western softwoods, has its own grade rules.
CAHVG = clear all heart vertical grain
CAH = clear all heart.
Both of those grades eliminate knots and that garishly contrasting sapwood.
A little googling may prevent a buying error. There are trash grades of redwood I don't expect you want.

1 CAHVG - 1.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Idk about grades to well to tell you the grade but I need one 10" wide board approximately 8' in length and I would prefer that it was 4/4

You need a bit over 7 board feet using those dimensions. I still don't know where you're going to find it locally without a special order.

Grades? I posted the different grades already in post #12 above. I guess you want a pretty good grade without knots and defects like Bob Vaughan posted above.

Last edited:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Idk about grades to well to tell you the grade but I need one 10" wide board approximately 8' in length and I would prefer that it was 4/4

Tonika, About 15-years ago, you could buy clear Redwood fence boards at the California big box home centers.

If you are going to cut a board into shorter lengths, and you still know someone that’s stationed on the west coast, they could rough cut a fence board and ship it to you for not too much.

Sometimes I used to buy and ship boards that I’d found while out of town. It worked okay for the shorter lengths I used in smaller projects.

For Vacaville, try 95687 for a ZIP Code on the store location.

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
To give an idea of what CAHVG looks like, the levels of this cupcake platform were made mostly out of vertical grain with a lacquer finish. The turned part was out of a salvaged 4x4 that had some knots in it but the knots in this case added some figure interest.

The penny beside some old growth redwood. A penny is 3/4" in diameter so this piece would be 40 or so annular rings per inch.

Last two shots are of a work-in-progress riser platform I shot together using clear all heart and some VG parts. This should also show the range of color one can expect from good quality redwood.

The point of all this is that wood may well be from a redwood tree, but is the grade you may be looking at suitable to your project's needs.

1 redwood - 1.jpg

1 redwood - 2.jpg

1 redwood - 3.jpg

1 redwood - 4.jpg

1 redwood - 5.jpg

1 redwood - 6.jpg

1 redwood - 7.jpg

1 redwood - 8.jpg

1 redwood - 9.jpg

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Thanks Gentlemen,
I went to Capitol City Lumber Co. And I found that they have some Redwood but the boards that were wide enough were simply too thin. It is fine I was given a secondary species to make the project with if I could not get the wood that I need locally.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors