Redoing Kitchen Table

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Need to resurface my kitchen table. I think I would call it french country. From the looks, I'd say it's wormy maple. Not sure if the worm holes are real or just destressing. It's been distressed on the edges with something dark brown or black.

So my question.... I would like to match the yellow/mustard so it won't be too obvious that's is n been done. Stain or dye? I've got a couple of spots underneath to do dinner testing.

I know I'll put two coats of poly on top to handle the usage.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and opinions.

IMG_20210705_114323698.jpg
IMG_20210705_114431869.jpg
IMG_20210705_114547136.jpgIMG_20210705_114654010.jpg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
What kind of finish is on the table now? Probably need to strip it off to refinish.

Roy G

Jim Chelgren

New User
JC
Hello, I'm JC, a new member. From the photos you supplied, that finish appears to be a spray on finish with a lacquer top coat. From the way it looks to be chipping off, the surface in that area got some heat at some time and the finish has failed. Your best bet is ti get it color matched at a paint supplier, like SW, and the recommended top coat sealer for their product. Sand just the top and try to leave the edges alone unless they are chipped up as well. Orbital sander will work fine with final block sanding with the grain before primer and color coat.

From my past experiences with this type of product, you are likely to find the wood under the paint to be what we called vietnamese mahogany, not the prettiest stuff out there but readily available for manufacturing overseas furniture. If you look under the table, it probably has the manufacturer's info stenciled on the tabletop and very little, if any, real protective finish. It's generally only thick enough to seal up or encapsulate the top to reduce warpage. After all, it probably came over on a slow boat from China.

The dark brown "Flecks" are generally done with a tooth brush, pulling the dipped bristles back and let the color fly.
Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS