RedNeck Logging big round ones made flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Ok Fred mission accomplished, big round ones made into small flat and square ones. I figure there's a good 1000 BF there about 1/2 pine and 1/2 sweet gum.

P10100772.JPG

Here's what the sweet gum looks like. Some of the boards look like someone took a brush with burnt umber and burnt sienna and touched the boards in a few places. Perhaps the prettiest wood I've sawn yet and yep it's sweet gum. I wonder what it's gonna dry like? a pile of snakes?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Use plenty of stickers, make a very aligned stack, and, park a D-7 on top of it for the next 8-12 months!!

:rotflm:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Jeff that gum looks pretty sweet.
I'd love to see that when it's dry.

Cut a bunch of it and it'll twist every time. Helped a dear friend cut one and tried my best to get him to hook a truck to it and 'persuade it' away from the house. Oh no, it'll be fine. I asked him if he ever cut a gum before and he said sure. I asked if he ever cut one that didn't twist and he said no, he didn't think so. I asked him why he thought this one would be different. He said it'll be fine and laid the saw to it. Took the chimney off slick as a whistle and even with the shingles.....
Life's too short isn't it?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff that gum looks pretty sweet.
I'd love to see that when it's dry.

Cut a bunch of it and it'll twist every time. Helped a dear friend cut one and tried my best to get him to hook a truck to it and 'persuade it' away from the house. Oh no, it'll be fine. I asked him if he ever cut a gum before and he said sure. I asked if he ever cut one that didn't twist and he said no, he didn't think so. I asked him why he thought this one would be different. He said it'll be fine and laid the saw to it. Took the chimney off slick as a whistle and even with the shingles.....
Life's too short isn't it?

I have a rule of thumb I go by, if there is anything and I mean anything, except other trees within twice the distance as the tree is tall, I won't touch it - I'll watch someone else take a saw to it but it won't be me.

Cutting trees down out in the woods is one thing, next to someone's house is something completely different. I've had pretty good success dropping tress and yet to have one fall in a direction I didn't want it too, but there will be a first time, this I know... When it happens it won't be taking out somebody's house. That's why there are people in the tree service business.

Thanks

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jeff, I don't think this qualifies as "redneck" unless you load the wood onto the trailor the same way or in a similar way to the first time. :rotflm:

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Well I am disappointed sorta, I read the title and "RedNeck Logging big round ones made flat" mademe think that someone had a homemade rig where logs were dragged down the paved road to make 'em flat.

That is some very nice looking wood, but as others have referred to...I wonder if it will become to crooked to use. If stacked right and soon it may be fine.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Cutting lumber I like - it's sticking and stacking lumber I don't like so much.

Anyways here a few more pic of the sweet gum, you guys see anything or is it just me?

P10100773.JPG

P10100784.JPG

P10100793.JPG

P10100804.JPG

P10100813.JPG

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I see two snakes staring at me in that book match set - both of them are daring me to try and dry this lumber :tinysmile_tongue_t:. Like I said before it might just dry into a pile of snakes. Only one log had stress in it, the others laid there and took it like a man :eek: I've cut logs with a lot more stress than that one.

Earl yes after it turns into a pile of snakes - we can cut it into segments :roll:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I see two snakes staring at me in that book match set - both of them are daring me to try and dry this lumber :tinysmile_tongue_t:. Like I said before it might just dry into a pile of snakes. Only one log had stress in it, the others laid there and took it like a man :eek: I've cut logs with a lot more stress than that one.

Earl yes after it turns into a pile of snakes - we can cut it into segments :roll:

Mills, you snortin' walnut again? Or have you discovered somethin' in "gum dust" we don't know about?

:rotflm:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Jeff, I don't think this qualifies as "redneck" unless you load the wood onto the trailor the same way or in a similar way to the first time. :rotflm:
Beg pardon. Jeff is an accomplished pilot. He took the wood an pilot on the trailer. :rotflm:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Ok Fred mission accomplished, big round ones made into small flat and square ones. I figure there's a good 1000 BF there about 1/2 pine and 1/2 sweet gum.

P10100772.JPG

Here's what the sweet gum looks like. Some of the boards look like someone took a brush with burnt umber and burnt sienna and touched the boards in a few places. Perhaps the prettiest wood I've sawn yet and yep it's sweet gum. I wonder what it's gonna dry like? a pile of snakes?

Wow that wood right there looks good, not just the color, figure, but it looks like you put it through a planer... Very nice work!!! I really can't see the blade marks.

I have a friend here in the goldsboro/pikeville area that hates trees and said I could take some of the smaller ones and replant them and clean up the others for next years deer season. He has sweetgum, maple (the ones with the red leaves) and many other kinds. Would you saw any for me if you kept some of the wood?

Matthew

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wow that wood right there looks good, not just the color, figure, but it looks like you put it through a planer... Very nice work!!! I really can't see the blade marks.

I have a friend here in the goldsboro/pikeville area that hates trees and said I could take some of the smaller ones and replant them and clean up the others for next years deer season. He has sweetgum, maple (the ones with the red leaves) and many other kinds. Would you saw any for me if you kept some of the wood?

Matthew
You mean like 50/50 ?

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
I see two snakes staring at me in that book match set - both of them are daring me to try and dry this lumber :tinysmile_tongue_t:.

OH BOY! Would a shrink have a field day with this crew or what??
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS