Red Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnick

New User
Nick
I'm about to cut down some large Red Tips. Has anyone cut and dried any Red Tip wood? I'd like to know what color it will be when dried. Light like Boxwood or dark like Red Oak. I,m sure it won't be like Walnut.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yes, a shrub, but the last one I cut had trunks about 6" in diameter.

I never tried to mill any log under 12" diameter on the small end. which if the log is good and straight you might get lucky and a clean 8x8 cant. which will yield a couple of 1x8's and a couple of pith ridden boards out of the center that aren't good for much but the burn pile. Frankly speaking 12" diameter logs are pretty freaking small for a sawmill. There is no way I would attempt 6" diameter, might be ok to play with on the spinny machine but then again what do you do with the pith?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well being that it's red tip, the wood might look like this...

azlightning070100027.jpg

All kidding aside it may look like this

timestack.jpg

Truth of the matter is I really don't know, nor can I find a Google picture of redtip lumber for you.

Guess you'll find out when you cut em up.

Dragon

New User
David
Well..............I just happen to have some Red Tip stump sections and the wood itself appears sort of a blondish to pale white color. I haven't worked up any of it yet so I can't say for sure exactly what it may wind up being once dried fully. :dontknow:

JohnW

New User
John
Nick,
I cut down several dozen +30 year old red tips last year. Some of the larger trucks were 10" diameter. The wood seemed to be a little more dense than poplar. I was expecting something softer but it was like a mid level hardwood. Kind of a light grayish/tan color with no special grain or anything that would make me think it was anything special. I offered it up here and locally to some turners but had no takers. But it burns well.

FWIW, I still have 6 or 8 red tip stumps waiting for my back to get better before removing. About 18" sticking up out of the ground and 8" -12" dia. I think they would look better than any other wood in existence if turned on a spinney thing. Anyone wanting this exceptionally rare and exotic wood....Just come and dig them out and they are all yours. :wink_smil

woodnick

New User
Nick
That's the information that I'm looking for. Gary I think the Red Tip and Bradford Pear are in the same family (Rosaceae). I'm planing on doing some Inlay work and after playing with a branch I agree with John that there's not much of a grain, but wasn't sure about the main trunk. I think I'll cut it in 3' sections then use the Band Saw to mill it into boards to make Stringing. Another thing that I just found out, is that if you cut light colored wood in the winter it well be whiter then if you cut it in the summer.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
And, the winter wood is a bit "conditioned" compared to its state in the warmer weather when things are active...sap flowing. I think it will work well for accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS