Red Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
Just took out a bunch of +30 year old red tip bushes. Some of the branches are 4" - 5" diameter. The bases get up to about 8" dia. I don't turn...never caught the spinning disease...but if this is any good for turning let me know and I'll set some aside. Have no idea as to what it might look like.

DavidF

New User
David
If you are going to the show then please hold me a piece or two, I'd love to try it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Redtip - Photinia fraseri A large ornamental shrub that has red new growth and large white flowers. Generally gets much larger than people expect and is very prone to fungal disease.

Turning it is the best use for it. All wood is good for turning. The trunk sections would be best, often branch wood is very reactionary and not very stable.
If it ends up ugly, then its practice and that is worth something.
Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes once you head down the road toward turning (ok Jeff, the darkside) it does put a different spin on the way you look at all wood.

:rotflm: Boy that was bad :rotflm:

JohnW

New User
John
Scott, I've been very close to the vortex and felt it's mighty force....but so far have been able to stay "spin-free". :nah: But the older I get the closer the darkside seems to be.

All the redtip is gone but their's plenty more bushes to remove. I'll set some larger pieces aside next time and get it to some of the turners. Would be interesting to see what it looks like. The fresh cut heart wood looks plain but has a brownish color similar to chestnut.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Dave, (the resident plant expert)

My neighbor cut his all level with the ground a few years ago, because they were way to big for the front of his house. I don't think anyone trimmed them for years. Anyway they are all back and pretty much a perfect size now.

Is this pretty common for these bushes to grow back? If so I might just cut most of mine down, the folks that lived in the house before me didn't trim them and they are way to big now.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
If you still have some I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I am looking at pen blank size less than 1"x1"

John Jankowski

John
Corporate Member
Just took out a bunch of +30 year old red tip bushes. Some of the branches are 4" - 5" diameter. The bases get up to about 8" dia. I don't turn...never caught the spinning disease...but if this is any good for turning let me know and I'll set some aside. Have no idea as to what it might look like.

I love the stuff to turn. It acts a bit like fruit woods and has a tendency to split so seal the ends well. It is VERY hard and dense. I would love some if the pony express can get some to me in Garner. Also if you are going to dig up the roots, I would want them also. These have a very unique color to the grain. Sort of like chocolate milk swirled in vanilla pudding. Great for making bowls.

I have even made pens out of the roots themselves and it looks like yellowed antler material.

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, (the resident plant expert)

My neighbor cut his all level with the ground a few years ago, because they were way to big for the front of his house. I don't think anyone trimmed them for years. Anyway they are all back and pretty much a perfect size now.

Is this pretty common for these bushes to grow back? If so I might just cut most of mine down, the folks that lived in the house before me didn't trim them and they are way to big now.

Yes that is a very normal occurrence with a lot of plants. It is due to the root:shoot ratio. The plant wants to balance the amount of roots it has with the amount of foliage. They will look pretty ugly for a year or three as they re-grow, but if you can stand that it's a great way to rejuvenate an overgrown planting.
It's also done with several species of forest trees as a Silvaculture practice called Coppicing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppice
Just trying to tie this back into woodworking :cool:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS