Red Oak Morris Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
I just finished making this red oak Morris chair for my niece for Christmas. Even made the cushions! Got my wife to teach me how to use her sewing machine and I took it from there. Got to learn a lot on this project!

showphoto.php

Merry Christmas everyone!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I just finished making this red oak Morris chair for my niece for Christmas. Even made the cushions! Got my wife to teach me how to use her sewing machine and I took it from there. Got to learn a lot on this project!

showphoto.php

Merry Christmas everyone!

Wow, that's really nice:thumbs_up. How long time did it take you, what kind of finish did you use and how much wood in b.f. did it take?

Ive been wanting to make one myself, but havent been able to find the plans for my price point = $0.:rotflm:

Great Job! your niece will love!
Matt

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That's on my list of "I-wanna's". Nice job!!

I'm sure you niece will cherish it!

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
50 bf of Red Oak which I picked up from a fellow over in Winston-Salem for $1/bf.
The cushions cost the most!!!! Around $170 for the high-density foam, batting, linen sleeve and covering.

Took me about a month overall, I guess ... working on it when I had the time. I used an antique cherry dye, then scraped the raised fibers, sanded lightly and about 5 coats of Tung Oil, then rubbed down with 0000 Steel Wool.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful job on the chair, Jim.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Sure looks solid and must weigh a ton!:eek::eek:

I am sure that it will be treasured for many 'a year!!!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

Thanks for sharing the pic.

Wayne

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Very Nice Chair. I have considered doing one of those for my brother.

Was it very difficult?

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I enjoyed making a Morris chair as well as any woodworking project that I have ever done. So many different techniques and joints required. Made mine using maple instead of oak. Plans came from FWW issue #101, page 38 (cost, free).

woodworking_0012.jpg

J

jeff...

Nice Chair - lots o joints :thumbs_up - Wonder how much it would cost in leather?

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I enjoyed making a Morris chair as well as any woodworking project that I have ever done. So many different techniques and joints required. Made mine using maple instead of oak. Plans came from FWW issue #101, page 38 (cost, free).

woodworking_0012.jpg

How do you find? Can you send post the Link?
Thanks, free is good!

skeeter

New User
Charles
Both chairs look awesome. Very nice job, Jim and Dino! That chair is definitely on my short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors