Red Grandis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I just received a bundle of red grandis from Steve Wall Lumber. Its very good looking wood in the rough like a cross between cherry and mahogany. Has any one used it?

rdabbs

New User
Richard
I have not personally used the wood but a friend that owns a large cabinet shop is using it and loves the way it machines and the look. He has made exterior door and kitchen cabinets.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Larry, I can't wait to see what you create from this wood!

I just received a bundle of red grandis from Steve Wall Lumber. Its very good looking wood in the rough like a cross between cherry and mahogany. Has any one used it?

JohnW

New User
John
Larry, I have not used red grandis but it looks to be a plantation grown eucalyptus variety very similar to Weyerhaeuser's Lyptus. I've used Lyptus and found it to be just fine to work. It's a little more brittle than most cabinet grade species and there was a little more movement with Lyptus as compared to cherry, but it cut and finished well. Just watch out for splinters.

The pink color gets a little darker when finished with oil and a clear coat...and it accepts stain real well without splotching so it can be darkened easily.

Again, my experience with Lyptus...not Grandis.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Larry, I have not used red grandis but it looks to be a plantation grown eucalyptus variety very similar to Weyerhaeuser's Lyptus. I've used Lyptus and found it to be just fine to work. It's a little more brittle than most cabinet grade species and there was a little more movement with Lyptus as compared to cherry, but it cut and finished well. Just watch out for splinters.

The pink color gets a little darker when finished with oil and a clear coat...and it accepts stain real well without splotching so it can be darkened easily.

Again, my experience with Lyptus...not Grandis.

You are correct it is a plantation grown Eucalyptus(Eucalyptus Grandis). It is grown in the north of Uruguay.

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
The heartwood is durable and resistant to insects.
Durability compares to Dark Red Meranti or Sapele.
Dimensional stability is similar to Cherry or Hard Maple.

Tony Joyce

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
If red grandis is similar to lyptus, plan on sharpening a lot. I used some lyptus and found any steel edges tended to need to be sharpened very frequently. Chisels, planer blades, jointer blades, saws, etc. Carbide edges work just fine.

Roy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS