Red Bud I got from Mark Gottesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Got a (est) 10ft Red Bud trunk from Mark today - very nice guy:icon_thum I got it home tonight and of course it was raining so I waited a little while and the rain slowed down - I went out to the truck grab the smaller dia. part of the trunk wacked about an eight inch piece off centered it between centers and turned this out of it -
Red_Bud.jpg

View image in gallery

not through with it - do you think that I should let it dry or go ahead and turn it and see what it does - I took a 1/4 gouge and went down the middle almost to the bottom and then cut about half of the inside out - I do not know how I will get the rest of the inside out - I wet sanded it up to 400 and there is no finish on it - Here is the thread Free Redbud trunk

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Phillip that redbud looks real cool:icon_thum.Alwasy wondered what that stuff kooked like on the inside.As for what to do with it:icon_scra.Hold it up to your ear and do what the wood tells you:dontknow:.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip that redbud looks real cool:icon_thum.Alwasy wondered what that stuff kooked like on the inside.As for what to do with it:icon_scra.Hold it up to your ear and do what the wood tells you:dontknow:.

:gar-La; Robert when I cut this the heart wood was a real deep purple and now a little over an hour it is turning green:icon_scra - I will most likely let it dry - I just can not figure out how to get the rest of the inside of it cut:BangHead:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I've never turned red bud - that looks pretty sweet.
Sounds like poplar I've turned - colorful and fades as it dries - NO!! sigh
it still looks okay but....... sigh
I've got a ton (maybe more) of wood blanks drying. Its painful to look at it and wait and wait
My personal preference is my Oland tool for hollowing.
You can make a reasonable facsimile pretty cheap.
There are lots of options out there.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Phillip,

That looks GREAT!!!! It was great meeting you and glad you are making something beautiful from what otherwise would have gone in the mulch pile.

Wish there was someway to stabilize that heartwood color. It looked like walnut with a holly overlay.
At least there is some good grain from the looks of the picture.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I KNEW I should have Gott that wood! :rotflm:

Looks like you are well on the way to discovering its unique properties!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I KNEW I should have Gott that wood! :rotflm:

Looks like you are well on the way to discovering its unique properties!

Hey Mike I will bring you some of it if I can make it to the get together next weekend and I will also bring the manger scene if you still want it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors