Red Breasted Merganser Hen

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjm6254

New User
Bob
Here is my most recent decoy.
Red Breasted Merganser hen,Hollow Basswood & Acrylic.
BobM
Mergyhen1.jpg

mergyhen3.jpg

mergyhen6.jpg

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Bob,

This is incredible. Do you carve the feathers and then paint them, or paint them on a flat surface? I would like to see some of your work in person sometime.

Steve

rjm6254

New User
Bob
I paint the feathers on smooth surface .The tail feathers are releif carved and the crest feathers are carved texturally .
mergyhen4.jpg

ChrisB

New User
Chris
I'm continually impressed with your work and your productivity! Thanks for sharing.

Chris

rjm6254

New User
Bob
The decoys take a while to carve, this one took about a week to carve to where I was satisfied with it and it was ready to seal prime and paint .
The painting takes a couple days in acrylics since I paint in different techniques . I paint a priimer coat in gray scale first then I let that dry a day or so then I paint base color coats and let that dry then I paint impasto coats of wet blending feather shapes and let that dry then I paint finish coats adjusting colors adding depth and creating splits and feather finish like splits soft centers and edge fraying .I can easily spend a week painting .
about 40 to 60 hrs actual bench time + or - . It depends on alot of factors I try to have several carvings going on simultaniously at different stages of completion so I dont have wasted wait time for drying paint .

stave

New User
stave
Great work, especially the painting. Having recently taken to painting some of my work I can appreciate the patience and skill it takes to produce such fine detail not to mention colors. I am afraid my patience level will never be sufficient to produce work like that.

Stave

MikeH

New User
Mike
All I could say when I saw this was "WHOA!". What a gift you have!!!! Those are absolutely beautiful! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS