Reconditioned Ryobi Planer $159

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngusMac

New User
Dan
http://www.cporyobi.com/products/zrap1301.html

I have been thinking about buying a planer for a while now and this one is certainly within my budget. I've read the fww review and this item was listed as the best value for portable planers. As much as I like the idea, I'm always hesitant to buy something this cheap. Does anybody have any experience with this tool? Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Looks like a pretty good deal to me. I've only heard good things about the little Ryobi planers. Dad had an older version of this one that he use until he bouth his 25" powermatic....

If I didn't already have a planer (albiet and ancient one) I'd be thinking real hard about this.

Travis

NH2NC

New User
Eric
I have the first planer made by Ryobi, the AP10 and it's still going strong. I saw this unit at the Factory Tool store in Concord Mills and the only thing I didn't like is the lack of a cutter head lock.
It looks like a nice unit and certainly worth $159.

Outa Square

New User
Al
I have it; It's worked great for me. I don't have any thing to compare it to thought because i've only used my dad's older delta.

I bought mine used but i would buy that one if i needed another.

Sully

New User
jay
I have the direct predecessor to that model (AP1300), which is a great little planer. And I have used and abused the snot out of it for about 5 years now.

I do not think however, that I would buy the AP1301. The lack of a cutterhead lock and lack of infeed/outfeed tables are two strikes against that model. In comparison the AP1300 has both a cutterhead lock and infeed/outfeed tables.

Just my $0.02
J

Outa Square

New User
Al
The in feed/out feed tables can be negated by the use of 12 in wide by ever how long peice of mdf or melamine shelving. I got the idea from PeteM when i purchased the delta he had for my father. I just recalled that the delta may have a cutter head lock i just never used it as my royobi doesn't have one and i just plan around the snipe by using longer stock or by feeding stock one after another to keep the cutter head level. I have used some scraps and even construction lumber to minimize snipe on my good stuff. The homemade table helps minimize the most.

I will say that you need to be careful with the crank as mine has broke off but that because i knocked it off a shelf.:embaresse Thus far it seems to be cutting evenly well measured just to the 16th so that .0625", i guess i can use my digital calibers i got for Christmas to see if i how far I'm off if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS