Recommendations for decent screws

cpaul

New User
Chris
I'm a fan of McFeely's square drive as well. Recently I checked my local HD for anything remotely similar and found these - Pro Twist trim screws. They've worked well for me so far. Just make sure you're using the correct size driver and that it's properly engaged, and like the other folks in this thread have stated, it's pretty impossible for the driver to cam out of a square head.
1620829176238.png

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Use a lot of Spax. My issue is the torx head doesn't hold screw on bit, and wobble is a big issue trying to drive one handed. Other than that they are good screws. IMO GRK is a better screw than Spax, but they dont' have the selection I want.

Used to buy all my screws from McFeeleys. Square drives are the best, no question. I've never had one torque out as TVR describes. Biggest feature for me: the screws stick to the bit (sometimes too well).

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think he means he stipped the screw thread...
What the OP means is called "cam-out" and that can NEVER happen with square-drive screws...

Square drive is NOT designed for automation

Torx or torx plus is better than any drive out there - but beware, likely nothing any of US buys is torx... like the square drive is a knock-off of Robertson, the star drive or other copiests out there have cheapened the original design... there are so many factors that go into a proper drive and bit for torx it is a little dizzying...

As for Torx plus, it was designed for automation, the bit will slip into the drive while the driver is running and creates a "back angle" drive... I can explain it in a LOT more detail if anyone cares, but simply it is the drive angle - a hex (internal or external) drives at 60 degrees meaning you have the potential of an off-angle of 30 degrees, the Torx drive has an off-angle of 15 degrees and the torx plus is 0 or actually negative making cam-out nearly impossible! (the square drive is similar, but automation struggles finding the square hole with a square bit!

I will have to disagree as I have "cammed out" and stripped the heads of many a square drive. If not, I would not hate them. That is why I go TORX. Quality of the bits matters a lot. Could be the screws and the bits sold by Kreg are crap? And every one I had in either of my trailers? I have bought better bits, marginally. If the box is marked Torx with the copyright, I can hope it is Torx. If it says star, them maybe not. There have been some semi-objective tests on bits out there, but my experience does not follow exactly. For instance, I get better results with the Milwaukee Philips than the higher rated Makita golds. I don't remember what brand square I bought that was higher rated. Still messed up some Kreg screws.

I believe the Robertson was was quickly picked up in factories for furniture and pre-fabs. Only seen it for screws, not bolts with the exception of a few electrical panels and they have been the hybrid Posisquare. ( in this case, for manual use) Adapting the Snap-On/Bonney lobes, the Nuvo is an improvement as the force is applied to a much larger area.

( Bristol spline beats Torx except for cost. )

cpaul

New User
Chris
Ah! Scott makes a good point - I have had a square DRIVER turn itself round inside a square drive screw. That driver came with a cheap pocket hole jig and was not quality steel, perhaps not even steel.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have 2 drivers. One is a Bosch 12 volt, and the other is a Rockwell 20 volt. I've had the Rockwell tear the head off a 3/8 in. lag screw. In oak no pre drilling. My fault, but the Rockwell is sometimes too powerful. I use square drive for most of my joints. Never stripped a square drive, and most with the 12 volt driver.

Pop

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have 2 drivers. One is a Bosch 12 volt, and the other is a Rockwell 20 volt. I've had the Rockwell tear the head off a 3/8 in. lag screw. In oak no pre drilling. My fault, but the Rockwell is sometimes too powerful. I use square drive for most of my joints. Never stripped a square drive, and most with the 12 volt driver.

Pop
My 18V Makita is too powerful snapping #10 screws, so I keep my 18V Ridgid ( about 50% less) and mostly use my M12.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
@TVR what kind of screws? Kreg pocket screws strip easily, whereas a Mc Feeleys you’ll more likely break the head or bit off first - the socket is deeper too.

Thats been my experience, anyway.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Kreg's recently, but in the past whatever was used in the trailers and furniture I had bought. Stripped many trying to get them out. Usually cut a slot with a Dremel.

As Torx in a washer head , as per Kreg, are rare, I wil look into McFeeleys.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I was in Klingspor today so bought a box of theirs. If they aren't more adequate, I will order from McFeeleys.

Will give a review later!

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Kreg's recently, but in the past whatever was used in the trailers and furniture I had bought. Stripped many trying to get them out. Usually cut a slot with a Dremel.

As Torx in a washer head , as per Kreg, are rare, I wil look into McFeeleys.
Yeah you’re dealing with inferior quality screws there.

McFeeleys pocket screws are much better than Kreg.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS