recommendations for a bench grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Hey folks,
I'm looking to get a bench grinder to hollow grind my chisels and plane irons. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated. I don't have much experience with them. Does 6" or 8" make a difference for basic woodworking sharpening. I'm not looking for a sharp edge off the grinder. I'll get that from my water stones later.
Thanks gang!

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
There's a Jet slow speed unit in the classifieds.

Years ago I bought a Tormek and I think overall it's my favorite tool. Not only do you get plane irons and chisels 80% sharp in 1 setup, with the proper accessories, Jointer and planer knives are a breeze but the kicker is, all of your kitchen knives are a joy to work with. It's become something of a ritual with our visiting friends that they roll up all their knives in a towel when they come to visit. It only takes 5-10 minutes to send them home with good as new edges.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a delta 8 inch variable speed grinder (Purchased at Lowes in a close-out before they change to Porter Cable - seemingly the same grinder - different paint)

If you go the slow speed route - there is a Jet in the classifieds...

I think you are looking for a hollow-grind and I know a bench grinder will give that to you - I am not sure if a tormek or Jet slow-speed style machine will do that.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Here's a few things to consider:

The angular velocity of an 8" grinder is higher than a 6" at a given rpm, so there's really no advantage to an 8" unless you need a wider stone.

Variable speed is a good feature. Both Craftsman and Porter Cable have them.
I got the Craftsman because the light is independent of the switch. The light on the PC only come on when the wheels are spinning. I got the a craftsman on sale for $90 and am very happy with it.

Some kind of aftermarket honing guide is a must because the guides that come with most grinders are pretty useless if you plan on hollow grinding. I like the Veritas guide. Or you can make your own.

You will need to get some better wheels than what come on them. Check out Norton. An 80 grit and a 120 is a good combo.

Be aware that there is often a need to balance the wheel and that can be a "process" ;). Also the bushings that come with the stones are too sloppy so you may want to make your own.

Finally, consider getting a dedicated "el cheapo" and putting a wire wheel and felt wheel for rough work and polishing.

Once you really get into it, you will find that hand sharpening is just as efficient and you can get a quality edge in minutes without the need for spending hundreds of dollars on a wet wheel system and all the jigs. But you will need to invest some bucks in some good quality stones.

Typically I can rehone a chisel edge while I literally 2-3 minutes tops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a couple of the Porter Cable 8" variable speed grinders. One is set up with Norton wheels and the other has a brass wire wheel and a buffing wheel.
I've been very satisfied with the performance. It does take some work to get the grinding wheels running true. The light switch problem is ridiculous, as stated DrBob pointed out. Some day I'm going to figure out how to re-wire the lights so I can turn them on without having to turn on the grinder.

If you are considering a slow speed wet grinder, you can also check the offerings at Grizzly. I have the T10010ANV and it works great, especially after making these few modifications.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
By all means get a slow speed grinder. The high 3500+- will burn tools quickly. I use only a 120 grit 8 in. wheel. The wider 8 in. wheel is easier to use. For lathe tools I use a One Way system it's a great way to go. For planes and such I just bought a WorkSharp and love it. It makes sharpening very very easy. I also use a float glass/sandpaper system with a Veritas system. No water stones just Arkansas stones. I've never got the hang of sharpening so everything I can come up with to simplify the process I use. A good friend & woodworker has just bought a Razor Sharp buffing wheel & a stick of green chromium oxide which he reports to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors