Recommend a stronger stripper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I am having considerable trouble removing the finish from a gunstock.
I have tried an automotive paint remover, and a spray-on stripper as well(Stryp-Ezz maybe, not sure) but they aren't getting it done.
The rifle is pre-1968, and I don't know if it's a varnish or a poly or what all it is, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on what I should try next.

34409b83.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I quit using chemical strippers when my allergies got so bad. I use a card scraper for everything now. If you have checkering that may not work. I did refinish a couple stocks a few years ago and the scraper worked great.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm with Mike on this one. I do not like any of the currently available chemical strippers. Card scrapers followed by sanding will usually get the job done.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That stuff looks pretty tough so you might consider a modern stripper that's based on N-methylpyrrolidinone (NMP) which will remove just about anything given enough time so be patient. Water soluble and a high boiling point (400 degrees fahrenheit) so it won't dry up like the more common strippers. See the "Application Procedures" below.

http://www.lyondellbasell.com/techlit/techlit/2283.pdf

A paint supply store in Greenville, NC can probably order a quart for you or you can buy it at a chemical supply house.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tom, if you have an air compressor and a blow gun - you might want to try soda-blasting, of course you will need to mask off the areas you don't want to "sand-blast" with baking soda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS