Reclaiming Old Oak Office Chair

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I bought one of those old all oak office chairs on spec because I have the matching teacher's desk--the type that used to be made in prisons, and if you're my age was in every classroom at your elementary school. Both are solid oak, some quartersawn, and together look pretty good. The chair has problems, most of which can be fixed. The biggest issue is the wheels and sockets. Someone previously tried to repair the sockets and failed. They are all reamed out and the wheels just fall out. The replacement sockets just don't get any purchase to hold the wheels in place. I figure I'll have to overbore the stripped sockets, plug them with oak plugs, and then rebore and install new inserts. It won't be pretty but the chair will be saved. I spent over an hour searching Amazon for caster wheel inserts and didn't find what I hoped to find. Almost all the inserts are thin stamped metal just like the ones that are in the chair now and stripped out or plastic, which I don't trust to hold up under my weight. I'm hoping someone has done this repair/restoration and can direct me to a source for both new wheels that will look period correct for the chair and matching inserts. Thanks.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A few pictures would help for seeing what your "period correct" wheels and inserts look like if you want to match them.

I'm hoping someone has done this repair/restoration and can direct me to a source for both new wheels that will look period correct for the chair and matching inserts

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
A few pictures would help for seeing what your "period correct" wheels and inserts look like if you want to match them.
Hey Jeff--The wheels on it currently are totally incorrect: cheap black plastic dual wheel casters, the type you find on the cheapest office chairs. I'm be using metal casters, probably antique bronze or brass, and seems like most of them come with the old style ball roller. I'm not locked into them. The key issue seems to be the diameter of the post. Research turns up two sizes--5/16"D and 7/16"D. I much prefer the stronger but less common 7/16". Let's see what turns up on this thread.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yep, we'll see what other have to offer. You said that you wanted "period correct" wheels and the link that I sent is a close guess. I don't know the diameter of the post from the Van Dyke site.

Last edited:

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Yep, we'll see what other have to offer. You said that you wanted "period correct" wheels and the link that I sent is a close guess. I don't know the diameter of the post from the Van Dyke site.
Something like this?

Checked out your link. The copy specifically states "not meant for dynamic loads", therefore it's not suitable for an office chair. I'll keep looking.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Checked out your link. The copy specifically states "not meant for dynamic loads", therefore it's not suitable for an office chair. I'll keep looking.

I believe that you're wrong. Do you weigh more than 280 lbs? You need to find out what a dynamic load is on a caster.
  • Weight Bearing: 70 lbs per caster; 280 lbs per set of 4
  • NOTE: These casters are functional but not meant for dynamic loads. They are for use on furniture which can be moved easily because of the casters but not designed to be rolled continuously.

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
A few minutes searching eBay turned up 7/16 broad brimmed top hat caster sockets for grip ring 7/16 stem casters as well as any number of brass hooded ball casters that would work with them.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
A few minutes searching eBay turned up 7/16 broad brimmed top hat caster sockets for grip ring 7/16 stem casters as well as any number of brass hooded ball casters that would work with them.

Thanks Jim--As a feeble effort to simplify my life, I don't do eBay. My online shopping is either store direct or Amazon. Maybe I'll have to learn eBay. Amazon searches turned up almost nothing I could feel confident in regarding 7/16" top hat caster sockets.

gritz

New User
Robert
Do a search for "antique furniture restoration hardware"
You will find lots of choices.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS