Rattle Can Mirror Finish @ home

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It's been so long since I did any high gloss painted lacquer finishes, I thought I forgot how. Since this is a musical instrument it got two top coats of clear plasti-kote for extra added protection. Each coat from the gray primer, through the colored lacquer and the plasti-kote was spit sanded with 1000 grit. All in all there are 10 coats 4 primer, 4 colored lacquer and two clear plasti-kotes. The top coat was spit sanded with 1000 grit, 1500, then 2000, 3M auto body rubbing compound, then 2 coats of caruauba wax and a lot of rubbing. All in all there's about 10 days worth of finishing, because I allowed each coat a full day to dry. I am totally pleased with the results. Only downside is I can see my ugly mug looking back at me. :gar-La;

P10101203.JPG

P10101212.JPG

P10101242.JPG

First time binding with plastic and it turned out pretty good too
P10101252.JPG

Thanks

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Looks real nice. My only suggestion on your plans is to only apply a single application of wax. Wax can not be "built" like a film finish. The solvents in the wax will dissolve or soften the wax underneath and will not buff out as well as the first coat. Seeing as the wax is for appearance only, just apply one coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors