Raleigh or Charlotte for a shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMDavid1

New User
Tim
Hello! I am new to the NCwoodworker group and really look forward to becomign part of what looks like a great organization. I am currently in the process of moving my shop from New York to NC and could use some of my future neighbors help in determining which may be the better move.

I have heard great things about both areas (Raleigh and Charlotte). We are a company who supplies reception desks and medical/dental exam rooms for doctors all over the nation and most of our work is in laminates.
Which would be a better location for labor and suppliers of laminates and flake/ Melamine panels? We also do some higher end work, but 90-95% of the work is in laminates.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Neither. Check out the High Point, Thomasville, Lexington, Hickory and Lenoir areas. We used to make millions of tons of furniture/year in these places. The infrastructure is still there. The skilled workforce is waiting on you to call. Space is cheap.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Neither. Check out the High Point, Thomasville, Lexington, Hickory and Lenoir areas. We used to make millions of tons of furniture/year in these places. The infrastructure is still there. The skilled workforce is waiting on you to call. Space is cheap.

Agree, but also wanted to note that Greensboro, High Point and Winston Salem are collectively "the Triad" and have an international airport and between them have many of the things you might be looking for in considering the larger cities. Charlotte is really our only big city; mostly we have regions like RDU and the Triad with a few medium size cities close to each other.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Agree, but also wanted to note that Greensboro, High Point and Winston Salem are collectively "the Triad" and have an international airport and between them have many of the things you might be looking for in considering the larger cities. Charlotte is really our only big city; mostly we have regions like RDU and the Triad with a few medium size cities close to each other.

+1.

Triad would be my choice, not because I live here, but because of the labor force.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
+1.

Triad would be my choice, not because I live here, but because of the labor force.

+2. I don't live there (I'm outside of Raleigh), but Tarhead's thoughts are right on.

By the way, welcome to NCWW! My wife grew up in Port Jefferson on Long Island.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I don't have anything to add about locations. I just wanted to say that I miss Salsa Salsa.

DWSmith

New User
David
I will highly recommend the Thomasville area. There are many industrial woodworking plants that are closed and just begging for occupancy. (I have a 4500 sq ft shop in one of those spaces and the rent is fantastic.) Thomasville is close to a number of commercial suppliers, has easy access to Interstates, the housing isn't terribly expensive, the folks are downright friendly and the highly skilled workforce is available and ready.

High Point is another good place but the property owners still think their business is booming and still have their rents to high. But it is another good business location.

Come on down and I will be happy to show you around both towns. (PS I was born and raised in High Point but my shop is in Thomasville for a number of reasons.)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
+1 on the Triad area. If you're supplying a national market, you're probably shipping your product by truck. Go to a map and look at the convergence of Interstates 40, 85, and 77. Easy access for both outbound and inbound shipments. Plus all the other reasons that have already been mentioned.

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another ex NY'r here. Both areas have pluses and minus. Raleigh is a smaller city and a couple hours from the coast. Charlotte is a much larger city and a couple hours from the mountains. Charlotte has a pro football, NASCAR and pro basket ball team while Raleigh Area has a pro hockey and is the hub of college basket ball (Duke, UNC, and NC State), and has a AAA baseball team. Both cities have large lakes near by.

Not sure where your office is but a 30 - 45 minute commute from either can put you out in the country.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
there should be plenty of labor in the clt area, certainly plenty of available space. i'm sure raleigh does as well.

tarhead brings up a good point of lower rent. i actually know of a working shop available in rutherfordton if you are interested. the guy wants to sell it lock stock an barrel

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Charlotte has a pro football...

Scott some would challenge that statement:gar-Bi We do have a new Quarterback and hopefully will be able to see him play this year.

Oh...most of the Hurricane fans don't know this but we've had the Checkers (EHL then ECHL and now AHL) playing great hockey in Charlotte since 1956.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Raleigh Area has a pro hockey and is the hub of college basket ball (Duke, UNC, and NC State), and has a AAA baseball team. Both cities have large lakes near by.

Not sure where your office is but a 30 - 45 minute commute from either can put you out in the country.

State still has a basketball team?????

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott some would challenge that statement:gar-Bi We do have a new Quarterback and hopefully will be able to see him play this year.

Oh...most of the Hurricane fans don't know this but we've had the Checkers (EHL then ECHL and now AHL) playing great hockey in Charlotte since 1956.

The Ice Caps were a better team.....:gar-Bi

CarvedTones

Andy
The Ice Caps were a better team.....:gar-Bi

Well the Ice Caps did do one thing the Canes never will - gave me enough change back from a ten at the gate to buy a hot dog and frosty beverage at the snack bar...

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Before everybody gets ahead of themselves, I would like to know what size and kind of a shop are you looking to relocate. If it's manufacturing, then by all means follow the Highpoint/Greensboro area, but if you are a small shop looking for an area that would need your business then I'd go to Charlottle. I'm from the Raleigh area and love it, but with the population being larger and the fact that there are more businesses there that could probably use your services I'd probably go towards Charlotte.

Good Luck !

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
It's funny, I was kind of wondering if Duke and the University of Non Conformity still had football teams that competed on Saturdays anymore ?

:rotflm: Guess we'll see come fall eh?

Apologies to Tim for getting his thread a bit off track. I'd definitely agree with the comments above. The triad is an excellent location for logistics, workforce, and resources if your particular business doesn't require proximity to larger urban areas.

Travis

TMDavid1

New User
Tim
Wow,

First off, I cant wait to move down, everyones input has been very helpful and I really appreciate any and all input, its a big move and I am relying on the expertise of you guys to help. Up here I would be asked to sign 25 waivers before anyone gave assistance or their opinions, Ok maybe im exaggerating a little bit now...

We are a manufacturing shop that although would do local work, would have most of our projects out of state and shipping, so the post on the shipping lanes was helpful, Coming from New York where taxes are almost 4.00 a sq ft (thats right, taxes! not even rent) most areas have "Cheaper" manufacturing space but the more we can save the better. we are in about 12k now and before the recession hit needed mroe space and see it getting back to needing more now.

Are suppliers relatively the same across the board between the triad, RD, and charlotte area? or is the triad better for that also? mel, flake, laminates, etc...

Also, it all looks good on a map, but what woudl average travel time be between greensboro and raleigh and Charlotte

CarvedTones

Andy
Wow,

First off, I cant wait to move down, everyones input has been very helpful and I really appreciate any and all input, its a big move and I am relying on the expertise of you guys to help. Up here I would be asked to sign 25 waivers before anyone gave assistance or their opinions, Ok maybe im exaggerating a little bit now...

We are a manufacturing shop that although would do local work, would have most of our projects out of state and shipping, so the post on the shipping lanes was helpful, Coming from New York where taxes are almost 4.00 a sq ft (thats right, taxes! not even rent) most areas have "Cheaper" manufacturing space but the more we can save the better. we are in about 12k now and before the recession hit needed mroe space and see it getting back to needing more now.

Are suppliers relatively the same across the board between the triad, RD, and charlotte area? or is the triad better for that also? mel, flake, laminates, etc...

Also, it all looks good on a map, but what woudl average travel time be between greensboro and raleigh and Charlotte

Aw, man - you didn't sign a waiver? :rotflm:

From Raleigh, about 90 minutes to Greensboro and another 90 to Charlotte. From Raleigh to Charlotte, there is something of a bypass (still gets busy at times) and the trip can be a little under 3 hours. Times will be a little longer if it is busy or wife is looking too close at speedometer... :roll:

EDIT - Oh yeah, I only use small quantities of real wood, so I can't help with the supply question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors