Raleigh Lumber Run - QS Hickory / Ash / Poplar

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Think I finally am settled back in at the log yard in Bullock, my mill is under a new saw shed and I got the bobcat I picked up Sunday running good, still waiting on a set of forks for the bobcat but they will be coming soon. I'm going to be down right honest and maybe say a few things I shouldn't. I had two offers to buy me out and frankly they were pretty good offers. I just couldn't take the money and run, a guy has his passions in life and at this particular time in my life I'm really addicted to sawing (I may need professional help :roll:). There's more to life than money and for me as long as sawing is enjoyable and people like the lumber I cut, I'm going to stick with it.

While talking with Ted there is an over abundance of Hickory Ash and Poplar grade A saw logs in the yard, he would like to move some. He cut me a great price on top grade saw logs which I'm going to pass on to NCWoodWorker Members. It'll be nice to start up green lumber runs to Raleigh again, I really missed doing them. It was a good time of fellowship and a great way to meet members.

* QS Hickory 1.50 a BF
* QS Ash 1.50 a BF
* QS Poplar 1.50 a BF

Lumber will be fresh cut off the log green and not kiln dried, will be as wide as I can get the boards off the logs and 8' or a little longer

If your interested in purchasing lumber from this run, please reply to this post specify species 1/4 thickness starting @ a 4/4 and BF desired.

* Mike Davis - Ash 64BF 16/4
* Golfdad Ash - 30BF 8/4 & 70BF 4/4
* tuchwud - 100 BF Hickory

Thanks

lottathought

New User
Michael
Just out of curiosity...
Will there be milling of lumber all year long?

I am really torn...
I am seriously hurting for space right now but I also am finding it hard to pass up on this ash deal.
If I know that this wood will be around after I clear a few pieces of furniture out, it would help.

J

jeff...

Just out of curiosity...

I am really torn...
I am seriously hurting for space right now but I also am finding it hard to pass up on this ash deal.
If I know that this wood will be around after I clear a few pieces of furniture out, it would help.

Yeah I would like to do the Raleigh green and Kiln dried lumber runs as longs as their is intrest.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Just out of curiosity...

I am really torn...

Mike , green lumber is great to store outdoors, and allow it to air dry. It won't take up any shop space, and it reduces the grass you have to mow.
I have room on my property to store for drying all that you could want. ;-)

Dave:)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Jeff, I'd like in on some Ash........around 30 bd ft 8/4 and about 70 bdft of 4/4........Please let me know.........ncgolfdad@aol.com

Touchwood

New User
Don
Jeff,

I normally use plain sawn for the rockers, but the hickory sounds interesting. How do you think the QS at 8/4 would look???

I would probably stack 100BF or so up at your place.

Don

J

jeff...

QS will produce straight grain, there will be very little if any cathedral grain. It'll be more dimensionally stable and less prone to wrap and cup during drying. When I got big enough logs and where it makes sense I prefer to QS than flat saw.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Per the new rules I think I need to add this to the for sale area, just not real sure how to do it and retain the replies. Could one of the moderators please chime in?

Thanks

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Jeff,

I would like 50 bf of 4/4 and 25 bf of 5/4, but it will depend when the run will be. I work 2 weekends and then am off 2 weekends. If it falls on my weekend off, I will be able to meet you.

Oops, that was supposed to be Hickory. Sorry Jeff!

Touchwood

New User
Don
QS will produce straight grain, there will be very little if any cathedral grain. It'll be more dimensionally stable and less prone to wrap and cup during drying. When I got big enough logs and where it makes sense I prefer to QS than flat saw.

Thanks

Jeff,

Re: the 8/4 Hickory...

I laminate the rockers and back-braces, so I look for straight parallel grain on the edge I'm going to rip on the tablesaw, and then look for interesting grain pattern on the face of the strips. I'm usually ripping about 6/4 or 7/4 thick stock for these, so the 8/4 finishes down nicely for them. I definitely need 8/4 for the seats, legs, headrest and arms and I usually use flat sawn. Any chance of getting some of both when you saw???:eusa_clap

I just don't know how the quarter sawn would look in what ends up being basically wood sculpture. I like to get bookmatched grain in the seat, arms and headrest, and it's nice if the legs look about the same left and right.

Maybe I should just go ahead and build one with the QS and see how it goes.:eusa_doh:

Thanks,

Don

J

jeff...

Just out of curiosity...

I am really torn...

Wow I feel sheep'ish - I don't know how I glanced right over your question. Yep I plan on making little sq ones from big round ones all year long.

Thanks

J

jeff...

If it's ok with everyone - I'll put this in with the KD lumber run for Sunday the 26th.

Please let me know if this is ok.

Don - please give me a call, I can saw up the hickory however you would like it.

Heres a couple points to consider:

* If your looking for cathedral grain that would be plain / flat (grade) sawn.

* If your looking for straight gain on the face and cathedral grain on the edges of each board that would be quarter sawn.

* I could also do a through and through (natural edged slabs) and you could cherry pick the grain out of each board to suit your needs. You'll have plain, rift and qs grain plus the bark on the edges. Book matching can be done with natural edged slabs but it'll take more effort on your part to rip the slabs in the right places so they book match to the next slab underneath it.

* If I did around the log (heart box) sawing you would get a mix of mostly plain a little rift with very little QS along with a book matched set or two near the center of the log but no bark on the boards. Since I'll flip the log a bunch of times sawing for the highest grade plain sawn boards can get of the log. That is till I get the heart boxed then I'll saw down to the bed without flipping the log to get book matched sets.

The maple you seen at Scott's yesterday was around the log (heart box) with book matched sets sawn. The White oak was pure quarter sawn.

I do very little through and through sawing, although it is by far the easiest on the guy sawing the log, put the log on the mill and saw all the way down to the bed without flipping the log once. It's much more difficult on the guy cherry picking the grain out of the slabs, not to mention the slabs are heavy and cumbersome for you to handle. Grade sawing is really enjoyable but requires a lot of log flipping so it's hard to get a good saw beat going. QS produces the most waste but makes the more dimensionally stable lumber. Around the log with book matched sets is what I usually do with species that don't benefit much from QS appearance, I'll try and make up for it with book matching.

It's what your looking for and how the guy running the saw slices and dices the log. At a 100 BF you'll most likely be buying one whole log so you got lots of options.

Thanks

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mike: Just curious, since I've never worked with ash. What does it lend itself to? Only ash I ever knew of was ball bats. Enlighten me if you have time. Thanx.

J

jeff...

Mike the Ash log I was going to cut for your 64 BF of 16/4 turned out to be Elm :BangHead:. We should be getting more ash in a few weeks. On a positive note I had enough to finish golfdad's order for pick up tomorrow at Harbor Freight.

Thanks

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks man. That's a big help. I think I'm gonna get some samples from Ivey next weekend and give it a try.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
im interested in some hickory. need stair treads to match(go with) hickory flooring im installing in my home. would need them about inch and half so i can get a one inch finished product! need them about 12" wide can u do it. :eusa_thin dave

J

jeff...

Dave, We have the hickory logs to cut boards that wide and thick. I think the logs are 8' long perhaps not the ideal length for stair treads, How wide are your stairs and How many treads do you need?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS