Raleigh area jig game - picture frame sled

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Here is my picture frame sled using the UHMW PE material from EYEKODE for the runners. This is a fixed 45 degree miter jig that will, hopefully, allow me to make perfect 90 degree corners. This was the first time that I used this material but it won't be the last time. I really like the results of the fit in the miter slots. It seemed to be a bit of a challange to trim down to final size at first but, thanks to an idea from Bruce (junqecol), a simple planer jig make short work of it.

I had a similar sled for years but it went away when I bought the Saw Stop and I've been struggling since when doing picture frames or any other "closed" projects. It's great to have this tool done and available. I need to use it to finish up the 3 small tables that I have in the works.

The base was made from some 3/4", very old, dead flat birch veneered plywood. The blocks forming the right angle are red oak.

Thanks again to EYEKODE for making the PE available.

Here it is bottom-side-up.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=43092&ppuser=2286
DSC000511.JPG

View image in gallery

Here is the "business end" view

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=43091&ppuser=2286

Here it is from the operator side, Note the stop stick in the left miter slot and the no hands area marked in red.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=43090&ppuser=2286

Parked and ready. The stop stick is stored on it (left side).

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=43089&ppuser=2286

Bob

Last edited:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Bob, that's an awesome looking jig. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I have to ask though, I don't think I totally understand the purpose of it. :icon_scra Don't worry, this happens a lot. :embaresse

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bob, that's an awesome looking jig. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I have to ask though, I don't think I totally understand the purpose of it. :icon_scra Don't worry, this happens a lot. :embaresse

It's a fixed 45 degree miter jig. Built to, hopefully, make perfect 90 degree corners.

Bob

eyekode

New User
Salem
Nice one Bob! I am glad the runners worked for you :).
By the way, how do you keep the scratches off your TS!! Wow that is pretty looking surface!
Salem

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Nice one Bob! I am glad the runners worked for you :).
By the way, how do you keep the scratches off your tablesaw!! Wow that is pretty looking surface!
Salem

Salem,

Thanks! I have a big enough shop to allow me to only use the machine tops for their intended purposes. I use Dri-Cote regularly to keep the tops dry and slick.

Bob

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Bob,

That Sled ROCKS~! It is very nice. Would love to see what you make with it.

I'll have to post the sled I am making with that same stuff I got from Salem.

Question: I know it's for 45's but how do you measure the length of each board to make sure you cut them the same length? Knowing me, I would cut the top one a little shorter than the bottom and the right one a little shorter than the left and it would be all crooked.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bob,

That Sled ROCKS~! It is very nice. Would love to see what you make with it.

I'll have to post the sled I am making with that same stuff I got from Salem.

Question: I know it's for 45's but how do you measure the length of each board to make sure you cut them the same length? Knowing me, I would cut the top one a little shorter than the bottom and the right one a little shorter than the left and it would be all crooked.

Thanks Matthew. First let me say that the 90 degree angle is set to be as accurate as possible. Cutting from one side may be yield a little less than 45 and cutting from the other side may yield a little more than 45. So, when using the jig, I cut the left frame piece on the left side of the jig and the right frame piece on the right side. Do this for each corner and they will all be good. As far as lengths are concerned, it's not too difficult. The kerfs in the base and in the blocks are zero clearance. Clamp your frame sides together, mark the lengths on the edge of all pieces using a square, line up a piece on the jig with a mark to the kerf and make your cut.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS