Quick Advise Needed: PT Lumber Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey folks,

I need to ask some quick advise if I may:

I will be building a deck this weekend out of PT. While I was at work this afternoon, the lumberyard delivered my materials. The concrete is on a pallet & wrapped w/ plastic, but the lumber is bundled at in 2 locations and set directly on the ground, (w/ a layer or 5/4x6x16' decking boards on the bottom). No stickers. Everything is still wet from the rains, and my concern is, that when I cut the straps loose, the lumber will turn into a pretzel.

So what should I do?

Wake up early and unpack/ stack/ sticker?

Cover it w/ a tarp, (will this actually trap moisture & make matters worse?)

Not worry about it.

I have to go into the office tomorrow, but I will be taking Friday off to pour the footings, get everything lined up to frame on Saturday. Thanks guys, any and all advise will be most appreciated.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Heath, some of our pro's (Gotcha, BigDog, Bruce Wrenn, etc) will hopefully chime in, but do you know if you have KDAT (kiln dried after treatment) wood?

If it's not KDAT, then I don't think that I'd worry too much about stickering it for a couple of days, because the lumber is probably still wet inside from the pressure treatment process.

Pay more attention to what the aforementioned folks advise than me, if they suggest differently.

Scott

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Keep it covered with the straps on until you're ready to start. Then, stack & cover the remainder of unused lumber every night. Our principal lumber supplier used to wet his PT before he stored it so it would not dry as quickly. Once it begins to dry if it isn't nailed together, it may go any whichaway.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I love this place....Scott, Dennis, thanks for the quick responses!

Scott, to the best of my knowledge, it is not KDAT, I went out to double check and there are no markings to indicate that it is.

Dennis, thanks for the expert opinion. I'll give it a spray w/ the hose in the morning, and cover it w/ the 4 mil plastic I picked up to keep grass/weeds down.

Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors