Questions about some garage sale finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Found the following at a garage sale. Got these and a couple other things for $15.00. This first is my favorite. Markings show it's a Peck, Stow and Wilcox No. 1200. Does anyone have a few suggestions on cleaning up the wood handle, and some of the discoloration on the steel?

IMG_1920.JPG

This is a Ridgid saw. Model R845. I thought that a hedge trimmer my BIL was buying had the battery and charger for this with it. But silly me, it didn't. So a battery and charger will run about $130 for it. Anyone ever had or have one of these, and is it worth keeping and trying to find the parts?

IMG_1929.JPG

Last I found this blue steel box with no name or anything on it. But it was full of what looks like #7 coutersink bits, whole bunch of 5/32 bits, some other different bits and the inside of the lid had the diagram on it. But still no explanation what it was for. There were about 35 of the countersinks and over 30 of the same 5/32 bit in it. Anyone have an idea what it is or is for?

IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

Thanks for any help!!

Tom

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your blue box diagram shows the layout of the arbors and hole saws that were originally packed in the box. It now looks like the box got repurposed for other bits.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That brace looks to be a 12 or 13" which is a rare find. This is a measure of the diameter of swing of the outer handle - measure from the centerline to the center of the handle and multiply by 2 to get the actual. The larger the swing the more torque that can be applied - with the trade-off being it won't fit in tight places. My avatar shows me using a 13" brace and bit to drill dog holes in 5" thick maple. I appreciated the extra torque the larger brace gave me.

You can lightly sand and refinish (I'd use an oil varnish) the handles. The marks on the metal can be minimized by the use of a sandflex bar or pumice stone, but I wouldn't worry too much about them. They are character marks.

These sandflex bars work well to remove rust and stains on metal:

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sa99996/

Pumice stones are sold with the bathroom cleaning supplies - the wife uses them to remove hard water stains from porcelain. They are quite abrasive so go easy.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If the brace is a bit rusty, I'd use a synthetic steel wool pad dipped in a solvent (for lubrication) to remove the rust. Then protect with your favorite anti rust protectant - oil, wax, boeshield, whatever.

Excellent job finding a lifetime supply of countersinks.

-Mark

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I paid quite a bit more for the brace shown in my avatar - but it was something I really needed at the time. You did good with that purchase alone. The others are just added benefit.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I've had a couple of Peck, Stow and Wilcox braces come through the shop. Good quality tools based on the ones I have seen.

I believe many of the braces from that era were nickle plated. What you are probably seeing is the nickle plate flaking off. There is good solid steel under that, the nickle was a protective coating. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's just a 'finish' on the tool.

I have re-furbed quite a few braces over the last few years. They are pretty easy to clean up and bring back to optimal working condition. If you would like any advice or need any help getting this one cleaned up, just let me know. I would be more than happy to help if you need it.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Sorry about dropping off folks. Thanks for all the comments. Mark I'll begin cleaning a little and might take you up on your offer. Here's another pic of the brace with a rule on it for the "swing." Any thoughts?

IMG_1968.JPG

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is a big one. You'll get a lot of torque with that big guy.

I too have never seen one larger than 13" swing.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
This is a Ridgid saw. Model R845. I thought that a hedge trimmer my BIL was buying had the battery and charger for this with it. But silly me, it didn't. So a battery and charger will run about $130 for it. Anyone ever had or have one of these, and is it worth keeping and trying to find the parts?

View attachment 19372

I bought a kit at Black Friday that currently sells for $399 that has a similar saw, 2 of their long run batteries, charger, drill, impact driver, carry bag, reciprocating saw, flashlight.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-G...on-Cordless-Combo-Kit-5-Piece-R9652/205883898

Saw sells alone for $99. I used mine a lot, its handy for quick, small jobs. I cut 3/4 pressure treated plywood when I need a quick cut, faster then pulling out my corded saw and extension saw.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Sorry about dropping off folks. Thanks for all the comments. Mark I'll begin cleaning a little and might take you up on your offer. Here's another pic of the brace with a rule on it for the "swing." Any thoughts?

View attachment 19379

Looks like a 14" swing to me. 14" swing was available in many of the different models offered by most of the major manufacturers (Stanley, Millers Falls, North Bros., PS&W, Goodell Pratt). I have a 14" North Bros. and a 14" Millers Falls.

Millers Falls and Stanley (and possibly North Bros.) made braces all the up to a 16" swing in some models. Try to fit one of those in your tool box. I have never run across one of these... Yet.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I think you may have stumbled on to a bit of 'diamond in the rough' here. That chuck looked to me like a Millers Falls Lion chuck, so I researched it a bit.

Check this out:

[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times][h=4]The final major improvement made in the P.S. & W. braces before 1900 was the development of the "Samson" chuck. This had a ball bearing chuck shell with an extended knurled section for ease in tightening the bit in place, and a pair of extended alligator jaws with parallel faces and a cutout in them for the tang of a bit. This premium chuck was designed to hold round as well as tanged bits. Its development occurred with the July 9, 1895 patent of Henry Smith of Hartford, Conn. (#542448). Ron Pearson gives this an "A" rarity value, yet it is the basis of the very popular and successful chuck. The Samson chuck is equivalent in function to Millers Falls’ "Lion" chuck (and pre-dated it). Those P.S. & W braces having it are considered among the best braces ever manufactured.[/h]

[/FONT]

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Great info!! I was able to clean a little of the rust/discoloration off of the chuck. It is stamped with Pat. Pending July 9, 1895. I'll get a closeup pic of the chuck.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS