Question on protecting Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I am in the middle of a saw restoration and and was looking at the aluminum badge on the front that has the bevel angle screen printed on it and realized that the original owner never removed the thin protective layer however it's yellowed over the years and I started removing it but I would like to protect the aluminum for as long as I can but am not sure what to put over it to protect it. I thought about spraying lacquer over it but I don't know how that will work. Anyone have any thoughts..

Here are a couple pics of the front plate..

2011-12-11_15_31_53.jpg

View image in gallery

I would say this is a simple solution I would just cut out a piece of lexan the same shape and when you bolt it back on bolt the lexan over top of it....

I would remove the yellow plastic as long as it did not pull the screen printing off

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I would say this is a simple solution I would just cut out a piece of lexan the same shape and when you bolt it back on bolt the lexan over top of it....

I would remove the yellow plastic as long as it did not pull the screen printing off

That's a good idea. Can you get lexan pretty thin? Yeah the plastic isn't pulling the screen printing off thankfully. some of it is on there pretty good and I'm going to try some hot water so see if soaking will pull it off.

jhreed

New User
james
Some race cars have multiple layers of clear plastic on the windshield. As it gets dirty, they peal off a layer. Maybe clear packing tape would work for you.
Ask your Dad to give you a Wixey for Christmas and have the remote read out positioned in a convenient place.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Some race cars have multiple layers of clear plastic on the windshield. As it gets dirty, they peal off a layer. Maybe clear packing tape would work for you.
Ask your Dad to give you a Wixey for Christmas and have the remote read out positioned in a convenient place.

Yeah I thought about that stuff and honestly clear packing tape. I might give the packing tape idea a try initially, the only thing I would be worried about it pulling the screen printing off, the windshield stuff isn't cheap I don't know if we have any cutoffs or scraps at the shop or not. Worst cast I'll just go with the lexan.

And as far as dad getting the Wixey. I do want one of those but he jut gave me a killer Craftsman Drill Press for Christmas yesterday. :) Thanks to Ron(yellowfins) who was selling it.

Yeah I thought about that stuff and honestly clear packing tape. I might give the packing tape idea a try initially, the only thing I would be worried about it pulling the screen printing off, the windshield stuff isn't cheap I don't know if we have any cutoffs or scraps at the shop or not. Worst cast I'll just go with the lexan.

And as far as dad getting the Wixey. I do want one of those but he jut gave me a killer Craftsman Drill Press for Christmas yesterday. :) Thanks to Ron(yellowfins) who was selling it.

I would avoid the packing tape I just cannot see how it will look any better then how it is already .... If you wanted to try the sticky route http://www.staples.com/Duck-Clear-L...LA:71000000000227348:58000000007550154:825000

but the reason I said plastic before was because it would not do any harm but the clear laminate might work also

jhreed

New User
james

I got my Jet xacta-saw from Yellowfins. Great guy. gives good deals to others as he is up grading his shop. I always wanted a Unisaw until I got his Jet cabinet saw. I am very satisfied with the Jet.
James

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
[/B]

I got my Jet xacta-saw from Yellowfins. Great guy. gives good deals to others as he is up grading his shop. I always wanted a Unisaw until I got his Jet cabinet saw. I am very satisfied with the Jet.
James

He is a great guy.. Dad got to meet him the other day when he went to get the Drill Press. I'm going to have to make a trip out there one day to meet him as well. Dad enjoyed meeting him and seeing his shop.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Yeah I thought about that stuff and honestly clear packing tape. I might give the packing tape idea a try initially, the only thing I would be worried about it pulling the screen printing off.

If you go tape make sure you get acrylic adhesive and not hot melt. Hot melt already has a yellowish tint while acrylic is clear. I do agree that tape has a greater possibility of pulling off the print.

Can you find some of the static film, such as is placed over displays on appliances and electronics when packaged? I'd think that would do everything you want.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
If you go tape make sure you get acrylic adhesive and not hot melt. Hot melt already has a yellowish tint while acrylic is clear. I do agree that tape has a greater possibility of pulling off the print.

Can you find some of the static film, such as is placed over displays on appliances and electronics when packaged? I'd think that would do everything you want.

I might look for the static film. I'm liking the lexan idea should protect it pretty well. Just need to get the saw to the point that it makes sense to buy some. Hopefully during my vacation I will be able to do some work on it. I've got a pie safe that needs to be finished as well. :)

I might look for the static film. I'm liking the lexan idea should protect it pretty well. Just need to get the saw to the point that it makes sense to buy some. Hopefully during my vacation I will be able to do some work on it. I've got a pie safe that needs to be finished as well. :)

local sign shops should sell you static cling material by the foot... if you go that route

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I have used clear self adhesive shelf protection plastic in the past to protect surfaces. :wsmile:

Have you ever removed it, did it pull off any of the screen printing? I'm still leaning towards lexan but need to see how much room I have behind the bevel wheel.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I have used clear self adhesive shelf protection plastic in the past to protect surfaces. :wsmile:

Have you ever removed it, did it pull off any of the screen printing? I'm still leaning towards lexan but need to see how much room I have behind the bevel wheel.

Generally, the adhesive on shelf paper is not aggressive. I don't think you'll have issues with it removing the print. Not sure how well it will adhere to a vertical surface though. The adhesive on shelf paper is designed more for preventing creep than for surface adhesion. :dontknow:

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
If it were me I would just spray some wax on it. Briwax and probably others come in an aerosol spray can and should protect it from oxidation just fine. Would need to be re-applied occasionally, but that is easy.

I wouldn't think it would need impact protection. I'd have to try really hard to bump the plate on my table saw.

For example:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001635/31387/Briwax-Aerosol-Wax-135-oz.aspx

- Ken

Plasti-Dip spray. You can refresh it every once in a while.

Also Rejex.

Those are both really good ideas.. I might have to try one of those. Yeah I'm not worried about the impact more about oxidation. It's pretty far under the table so I don't think i'd hit it to often if at all.

the plastidip is much cheaper might give that a go first on the back side of the plate and see how it does.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If concerned about price, just use some paste wax. The aerosol is more for the convenience factor.

I personally would not use a rubber coating like plasti-dip for this application, but that's just me.

Although plasti-dip would have a lot of other uses around the shop. Schwarz even used it to make custom protective covers for chisels in one of his blog entries.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS