Question on Nova drill press

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
OK, when you go to turn it on, it has to boot. That takes 30 seconds or so. May I assume it is safe to be putting in a bit, adjusting the table etc?

But, you drill a hole. Finished, move the wood Drill a another hole. Is it off and has to boot again? Or can it power up and stay booted while you are in the shop so you can go and turn the drill on and off at will? In other words, no waiting 30 seconds every time you want to use it.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I have the NOVA drill press. Once it has been booted up, i.e. in my case plugged in, it will stay booted up until you unplug it. I do not leave power tools plugged in when I am not in the shop so I don't know if it will ultimately shut itself off after several hours of non-use.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
OK, when you go to turn it on, it has to boot. That takes 30 seconds or so. May I assume it is safe to be putting in a bit, adjusting the table etc?

But, you drill a hole. Finished, move the wood Drill a another hole. Is it off and has to boot again? Or can it power up and stay booted while you are in the shop so you can go and turn the drill on and off at will? In other words, no waiting 30 seconds every time you want to use it.

As long as it's plugged in and booted, you can use it on and off at will.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I have one and it stays plugged in all the time. The display is actually a nice night light, I can walk through my shop at night without turning on the lights. I admit I haven't kept using all the available features. I have reverted to using the manual depth stop for instance just like my old Delta. I do use the four preset speed buttons though.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have one, but do for those of you that do, do you have it plugged into a surge protector?
I bought a Rikon lathe from a member and the circuit board was blown. I am wondering if a surge or lightening might have been the culprit, so when I have it back up and running, I plan to put it on a protected outlet...

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I don't have one, but do for those of you that do, do you have it plugged into a surge protector?
I bought a Rikon lathe from a member and the circuit board was blown. I am wondering if a surge or lightening might have been the culprit, so when I have it back up and running, I plan to put it on a protected outlet...

Highly likely. Back in the old failure analysis lab days, we determined virtually all failures were external electrical overstress or miss application of a component. Bad parts, assembly, use etc. were almost non existent.

I recommend a whole house suppressor on the panel, and then for any really sensitive stuff, a local one as some issues are locally caused. Getting suppressors fast enough and a high enough current may be a challenge. A simple MOV won't do. You need more like 1/2 nS, not 5.

Thanks for the verification on the Nova. Fighting with myself, but thinking really hard about it. Not that I NEED it, but I don't really like my Delta so I just WANT it. But I want to be sure fancy features don't get in the way.

Rikon and Nova use the same basic controller. Many do. It just gets programed for the use. Same unit is sold generically. I was not considering it at all until I found out they were so widely in use.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS