Question for the braintrust.. how to attach molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I have a friend that has a mural in his office. He would like to "frame" the mural. Meaning, attach molding to the wall to simulate the mural is in a frame. My question is... how does one attach wooden molding to a wall?
Before you answer.. please consider these facts.

1> The wall is sheet rock
2> The office building is a newer building. So, I'd be willing to bet that the walls are build with Steel, and not 2x4 studs.
3> He wants a smallish type molding. He said, 1/4", but I don't think he realizes how small 1/4" molding would be. So I'm thinking probably an inch molding at most.
4> Positively, absolutely, under no circumstances, do I wish to get anything on that mural, or damage it in any way.

Any ideas? I thought of some type of adhesive, but I'd have to be super careful not to violate fact #4 above, via dripping glue.
I didn't think that brad nails would be enough to hold it up in sheetrock.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Construction adhesive. It's thick enough not to drip, and if you put on a proper sized bead it won't squeeze out. Many have a fast initial tack so you won't be standing there holding the stick of molding forever.

MTCW,
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I second the construction adhesive idea, with a small bead, but be sure to move quickly once it's out of the tube, it tends to skin over quite quickly.

russellellis

New User
Russell
yep. construction adhesive and 18g pin nails to keep in place until adhesive is cured. but be warned. if you are overlapping the mural with the moulding, there will be damage to the mural if the moulding removed...more than likely. ive seen construction adhesive take down 2 foot chunks of drywall.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
What about a pin nailer with the nails driven in at 30-45 degree opposing angles? Kinda like shown below. If placed close enough together, they'll stay put, and so will the moulding (DavidF note the spelling-just for you friend!)

______\__/____/___\________\__/_________/__\______

Glennbear

Glenn
IMHO the best solution would be the tape or angled nails because of the possible removal damage like Russell pointed out DAMHIKT:embaresse. The other consideration is the adhesive fumes in an office enviornment , they can get pretty potent:tongue2:. If the tape is used a heat gun makes removal fairly easy .

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Hot glue is a good way to go. Easy to control. But with any of these options, if the molding is removed there will be damage to the sheetrock/mural underneath.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
angled nails and a thin bead of clear silicone. the silicone will peal off later if you need to remove the trim and squeez out will be clear so its not seen. this is how we do it in resturants because it has to be sealed and it meets code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors