Question about weight of chipped wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I have been slowly trying to get a small shop together. A dust collector and shop air cleaner are in the shop waiting for install along with a small lumber rack also waiting to be finished. I have a question as to the weight of a trash can half or slightly over with chips and dust from the separator.

I usually don't turn or use green wood and not a lot of hard wood except where really needed.

So about what is the weight of a trash can of dust and shavings? The reason I am concerned is if the weight is not too bad then due to space it will be mounted on top the dust collector. A small area has a disadvantage so you darned sure have to use ALL the space you can.

This collector but the 1.5 hp version which is discontinued now I think.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97869

Thanks
Dudelive

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Re: Question about weight of chipped trash

Complete guess ... but my bag gets very full and I'd guess it's in the 40 - 50lb range, maybe.

Glennbear

Glenn
Re: Question about weight of chipped trash

Sawdust weighs about 17lbs. per cubic foot. Some work with a calculator and the dimensions of your container should give you an idea of weight. Planer shavings in the same volume would probably weigh less due to air spaces between particles. The smaller the particle the greater the total weight of a given volume. :wsmile:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Could you explain a bit more of what your thinking? My imagination got the better of me :)

The reason I am concerned is if the weight is not too bad then due to space it will be mounted on top the dust collector.

Jim

Dudelive

New User
Dude
The DC will go in the corner with hopefully the separator on top on a stand made to the DC. That way lift lid and slide trash can onto the workbench direct beside it and lower to empty. Now if the weight will be too much then the bench and separator will go else where.

With 8' ceiling height, I am trying to use ALL available space.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, I see. I might be assuming wrongly, but are you considering a 2stage seperator? Something like this? http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=408

One thought, if you were looking for some, would be to move the motor up high on the new stand, and place the trash can under it, next to the dust collection bags.

Without knowing your dimesions or my favorite kind of cheese, maybe a slightly longer sheet of plywood on top of the flat base to accomadate the wider trash can. You probably could also shift the bags and bag brackets a little to the right.

Changing out dust/chip collection cans and bags is annoying work. I'm using polite phrasology too :)

While I'm giving out unsolicited advice, you might look at raising the whole bag thing too. That top bag is not going to hold much weight at all. It could be lifted quite high up. What collects in that bag mostly falls into the bottom plastic bag anyway.

If you plan on seperating chips from dust, what goes into the bags will be very light, so it won't need as much omph to carry up higher. Depending on how tall you are, and what kind of shoes you wear, the plastic dust bag could end up at eye level, making it easier to change out.

One other thought, you could hang the top bag and motor from the ceiling, sort of permanently. Leave the bottom bag and trash can on the mobile base. Then you could disconnect both and wheel them out for easier dumping.

I've emptied enough dust bags in my shop where a lot of that dust was "returned" to the shop....

If space is at a super premium, a shallower plastic bag and trash can could probalby be found to fit in one vertial 8' tower of dust collection. Just mean more frequent emptying trips.

Anyhoo, best of luck! We expect pics!

Jim

Glennbear

Glenn
Just my two cents...........If your final setup involves a cloth bag, as Jim alludes to removing the cloth bag indoors can be a very messy proposition. I wheel my Delta 50-760 outside whenever I have to empty the lower plastic bag and at the same time I remove the cloth bag to clean it. :wsmile:

Dudelive

New User
Dude
@froglips
Thanks for the suggestions as to ways to make it easy by rearranging the blower and maybe the bags.

@Glennbear
You are dead on correct as to moving it to the door first. You wont make the mistake of removing them in with the DC in place but once. Also what really helps is if you have a large clear trash bag like used in some commercial areas, just drop it over the top bag and let it cover the bottom and then unsnap the fastener through the bag and at least the dust will stay somewhat confined inside the clear bag.

Thanks for the suggestions from all:
As for removing the top bag and bottom bog for cleaning here is the way I did it this weekend.
When I am ready to leave the shop for the day, I take a wisk broom and went all around the top and bottom bag smacking them to get the fine dust to fall to the bottom. When I was sure all or at least most had fallen to the bottom, I left it alone over night. The next day about midday it was slightly windy, A good thing this time. I removed the bags as described above and kept them in front of me with the wind to my back. A dust mask and shake while the wind blows away the dust. Thankfully I don't have close neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS