Question about Ridgid Planner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepMr

New User
Michael
I'm looking at buying a planner. HD has the Ridgid Planner and Dewalt Planner for the same price. They both seem to be almost identical. I was thinking the Ridgid because of the limited lifetime warranty. Any thoughts on the Ridgid Planner. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but the price is in the ballpark for me.

Thanks
Michael

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
You can usually pick up a used Ridged planer in the $200 range. I got mine for $175 and love it.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Michael,

I have the Ridgid planner and it has worked VERY well for me. One thing about the Ridgid is that I get no snipe at all. You do want to think about hooking your shop vac to the exhaust port... that horizontal exit will through shaving all across the shop.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I have the Ridgid and have used the Dewalt. The Ridgid allows slightly wider stock (13" vs. 12-1/2"). I like the Dewalt's height adjustment knob a little better (position on top rather than side). Other than those differences, I can't say there was much difference in performance. I chose the Ridgid for warranty and price ($30 cheaper).

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I used to have the Rigid planer, it performed flawlessly. Easy-to-use depth stops, 13" capacity and straightforward knife replacement. With the exception of the DW735 (which is considerably more expensive), I think the Rigid is the one of best lunchbox planers.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Ditto what every one has said. I've had mine for several years and it has been used a lot. Does a great job with no problems. A total idiot can change the blades in ten min. or less. If it were to die today , I would head straight to HD for another.

JeepMr

New User
Michael
I used to have the Rigid planer, it performed flawlessly. Easy-to-use depth stops, 13" capacity and straightforward knife replacement. With the exception of the DW735 (which is considerably more expensive), I think the Rigid is the one of best lunchbox planers.

I found a DW735 Brand New for $412 - would you recommend this over the Ridgid? Is that a good price?

Thanks

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I found a DW735 Brand New for $412 - would you recommend this over the Ridgid? Is that a good price?

Thanks
That's definitely a good price. The base model doesn't come with infeed/ outfeed tables, so factor that into the cost as well (they're currently on sale at Amazon for another $50). With the Ridgid costing around $370, I think the DW is the better deal.

Just to double check - this is the DW735, not the DW734, right? The 734 and Ridgid are virtually identical in features.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

At $412 grab it. I have the DW735 and love it. I also added the Wixey digital depth gauge which I also love (though a bit of work to install on the DW735).

JeepMr

New User
Michael
That's definitely a good price. The base model doesn't come with infeed/ outfeed tables, so factor that into the cost as well (they're currently on sale at Amazon for another $50). With the Ridgid costing around $370, I think the DW is the better deal.

Just to double check - this is the DW735, not the DW734, right? The 734 and Ridgid are virtually identical in features.

Yes it is the DW735. I just got back from picking it up. He has 4 of them left. I will post in Found for Sale/Hot Deals with details.

Thanks everyone for their input!:gar-Bi

Cato

New User
Bob

Thanks
You got a great deal on the 735, and will love it. I got my extension tables and rolling cart from the Grizzly web site. Cheaper there than at Amazon or anywhere else I could search.

You will at least need the extension tables, and you could build a rolling cart, but you will need something as that thing is too heavy to call it portable unless it is on rollers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS