Question about mallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I made one out of persimmon many years ago. Still use it and am amazed it hasn't fallen apart. i also made one about 18" long that i use to pound stakes into the ground when i need stakes around a post when I plumb up the post. i have some elm that I have been contemplating using to make a mallet.

Roy G

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Zach, find a nice block of wood and send it South. I am sure one of your NCWW friends who owns a spinny thingie could make you one.

I appreciate the gesture, but I was over using a trim hammer and I just started upgrading my chisels. Got a set of Narex Mortise Chisels and didn't want to abuse the butt as my old cheap yellow Stanley's have a metal butt. I got the wood is good and I am happy. Maybe in the future I will get a mallet made or make one myself.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Which is your preference for
a)chisel work
b)carving

I use the carving mallet. I have turned down some maple and walnut mallets that work well for what I do. The heavy mallets are just too much for the work that I do as a general rule. I guess the short answer is -- make several mallets for different jobs and see which one you use the most.

One recommendation: make the top of the carving mallet(round) flat or slightly concave. It makes it easy to rest in the vertical position when you set it on the bench top. I just can not ust mallets that are domed on the top and you have to lay them down where they roll around. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS