Propane

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Our new house on the farm is well insulated and I'm sure the insulated full basement helps. We also have a propane tankless water heater (which I love). We moved in July had 60% in the 500 gallon propane tank. It got down 30% Monday. Called Tate's Tuesday and they showed today Thrusday and dropped 300 gallons in the tank. The tank is now at 87% full. Price per gallon $1.39 delivered, which seems a little high to me, but it is what it is...

All in all very happy with the energy efficiency of our house so far.

Drew

Drew Goodson
User
Our neighbor paid $2.21/gallon here in Raleigh last week, and we were over $2 a month ago. We’re supposed to have natural gas available in the Spring. I can’t wait!

gritz

New User
Robert
Our new house on the farm is well insulated and I'm sure the insulated full basement helps. We also have a propane tankless water heater (which I love). We moved in July had 60% in the 500 gallon propane tank. It got down 30% Monday. Called Tate's Tuesday and they showed today Thrusday and dropped 300 gallons in the tank. The tank is now at 87% full. Price per gallon $1.39 delivered, which seems a little high to me, but it is what it is...

All in all very happy with the energy efficiency of our house so far.
If you don't own your tank, you should plan to do so. There is a new wave of consolidations moving thru the industry. You may be happy with your supplier today, only to find that the big company that bought them out isn't so service or price sensitive. BTW, compared to local pricing in N. Ga. you did well.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
If you don't own your tank, you should plan to do so. There is a new wave of consolidations moving thru the industry. You may be happy with your supplier today, only to find that the big company that bought them out isn't so service or price sensitive. BTW, compared to local pricing in N. Ga. you did well.

The 500 gallon tank is mine, to be filled from whatever company I choose. I simply wouldn't have it any other way.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
. . . . Price per gallon $1.39 delivered, which seems a little high to me, but it is what it is. . . .

Wow! You are lucky. We had our home 300 gal. tank and the 50 gal. shop tank filled last week @ $2.40/gal. We have very little competition with propane suppliers and the ones here seem to charge what they want to. Therefore, or primary heat source is a wood burning Clayton furnace.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wow! You are lucky. We had our home 300 gal. tank and the 50 gal. shop tank filled last week @ $2.40/gal. We have very little competition with propane suppliers and the ones here seem to charge what they want to. Therefore, or primary heat source is a wood burning Clayton furnace.

Holy Maloney!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hawaii 2.60/gal for Propane but we do not heat our house. Never need to. 100 gallons lasts about 1.5-2 years

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hawaii 2.60/gal for Propane but we do not heat our house. Never need to. 100 gallons lasts about 1.5-2 years
1611876272661.png

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Been paying around $2.15 for several years now. My seller doesn't believe it when I tell him what Crealbilly pays. I never understand propane business, There is a large propane terminal here in Apex, but my suppliers gas comes from terminal in Aiken SC. The freight on gas hauled that distance adds up quickly.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Been paying around $2.15 for several years now. My seller doesn't believe it when I tell him what Crealbilly pays. I never understand propane business, There is a large propane terminal here in Apex, but my suppliers gas comes from terminal in Aiken SC. The freight on gas hauled that distance adds up quickly.

For the price difference in delivered propane we pay higher taxes in illinois, but have no road use tax or yearly inspection like you have in NC. So there you go... all in all we are about even.

However, If I need to purchase anything large, I go to Paducah Kentucky which is just on the other side of the Ohio river and about 45 minutes or so drive. I do this so I don't get raped on illinois sales tax. I also make sure I fill up the tank and 5 gallon gas cans while I'm there because gasoline is always way cheaper in any state surrounding Illinois, it's been that way every since I can remember. It makes no sense either because Illinois produces a lot of corn for ethanol. Who knows??? We really don't drive much at all so a full tank of gas lasts us a long time so I don't get all worked up about the price of gasoline in Illinois.

Cape Girardeau Missouri sales tax and gas is even cheaper than in Paducah Kentucky, but it's about an hour 15 minutes or so drive, so rarely worth it to drive there. There no real straight shot to Cape Girardeau from where i'm at either. Not like up I24 into Kentucky. Plus it's rather strange in Missouri, it's a open carry state. Just off seeing most folks with pistols strapped to their hips. In Missouri restaurants they ask you to be seated in smoking or no smoking sections also. At least it was 6 years ago at buffalo wild wings in Cape.

Last edited:

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have a leased 500 gallon tank ($40/year for the lease) and pay $2.25 gal for propane (Catawba County NC). I'd love to find another source for propane, but all the suppliers here are in collusion with one another and all have the same price; they just vary on the level of customer service. Just like I'd like to find another provider for internet service and get away for Charter-Spectrum!!! grrrrr.......:mad:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cape Girardeau is worth it for the thrown biscuits! Well, that would be pre-pandemic.

Eric G

Eric
Senior User
I get my propane from TR Lee in Clayton. Prices have been $1.80-$2.20 so far. I'm happy with them as a company. I don't own the tank but it's a lease with them, no lease costs as long as we get our propane from them. I haven't had a reason to shop around. Last time I needed a fill, I called in the morning and they were at my property by 3pm same day to fill up.

320 Gallon tank and past usage puts fill ups at every 5-6 weeks or so through the winter. This is my first winter in a new property (old home), but we have 20+ year old HVAC and 25 year old single pane windows. So planning on putting improvements there over the next year or two which should help lower usage. Also planning on using our wood stove a lot more next winter as HVAC just to supplement, just need to find some tree companies to dump trees on my property so I can chop firewood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS