Progress on rocking chair

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is the beginning of the mold making process. I have cut the curve and am planing the curve to be as smooth and accurate as possible.
DEA3654A-FA06-4476-AD75-F23C89985DF3.jpeg

checking the planed part for square
034DA8FC-4B51-44C5-A63F-1CD34541BE9E.jpeg

cutting the strips. I know this is not the way you are ”supposed to do it”. This way is accurate and repeatable. The clamps make kickback very unlikely.
4D35672A-FD5B-49A8-96D4-8F15A8C63BB2.jpeg

Usually I would leave more of the plywood. My shop is getting very full and as long as this is clamped down well the smaller size won’t hurt.
BA840FB0-ACCA-4AAD-8D62-7FC778633125.jpeg

C2FE11AF-C2DB-4662-85C9-9C158535EC2B.jpeg

As you can see here the blank follows the curve of the mold pretty closely.
1DD31334-3275-4D52-B5BB-32D023D8CE7D.jpeg

It is also very close to the original rocker.

0A3EC465-3C00-437A-BF96-911B7DF387AC.jpeg

Now I will cut to just over final thickness to leave room for sanding. Glue on the round at the front and the recurve at the back. Round over the bottom edge. Sand to final size, shape, and smoothness. Then drill the dowel holes, apply the stain and finish, then glue in place.

Attachments

• 73066D69-D31F-4639-A69C-04B063924D0C.jpeg
    73066D69-D31F-4639-A69C-04B063924D0C.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You're pretty good at your bent laminations. It looks good so far. How did you come up with the overall curve dimension and thickness dimensions of the rocker? Why are there 7 lamination strips?

Are you repairing an old rocking chair with a broken rocker or building an entirely new chair?

Sorry, there's no introduction or explanation about this thread. Did I miss it somewhere?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There was a fairly long thread from a fellow woodworker whose shop is in storage. The shipping company broke their antique rocking chair and scraped the finish on another part.

I am making two new rockers for that chair.

The radius and thickness was determined by the original chair maker, I’m just trying to match that. As briefly as possible... the thickness and number of strips is determined by the bendability of the wood and final dimension needed. In this case 3/16 x 7 = a little over 1 1/4 and that leaves room for sanding down to 1 3/16 or a little over.

To build this form I simply traced the old rocker to get the correct radius. There was very little spring back. Sometimes if the curve has to be exact and there is significant spring after making the first part I would plane the mold to a slightly tighter curve and try again.

I plan to add commentary when I get time. Just trying to get this done and as perfect as possible before I have to go back to the hospital for another few days.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the explanation - Hope the hospital visit is just routine and you're healing as well as can be expected. Keep on keepin on and stay healthy.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'll try to find that original thread about the damage to the rocking chair. Thanks for the explanation-it's clearer to me now.

Hospital for a few days?

Just trying to get this done and as perfect as possible before I have to go back to the hospital for another few days.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Three weeks since major surgery and finally get to work in my shop. Cheating on the time but being very careful. Was restricted for 6-8 weeks but feeling fine and bored as can be.

So, here is the first rocker glued to the chair. I’m very happy with the color and finish. Will wax the older worn part of the chair to blend in much better. Another day and it will be done.

222986D6-CDB3-42E7-9089-4686112D8808.jpeg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Looks good Mike. I don't see much difference in color between the old chair and the new runner in your picture but maybe it's clearer in person.

You got a nice fit with the dowels and their angle.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The color match is great, the old part of the chair is worn and scuffed. There was a very bad abrasion all down the front of one leg. That is gone and looks original now.

Just need a little buff and shine here and there

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS