problem with Chrome

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is being done to deal with the display problem with chrome?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not an answer Hank, but use of the Default style (as suggested by Bas in the other thread) has at least allowed me full and normal functionality of the NCWW site - so I am much happier. It is all shades of blue, and not the familiar color scheme, but it is (fully?) functional.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It doesn't seem to be a problem with many other browsers except Chrome. I don't know that our computer gurus can fix Chrome so you both may want to switch to another browser.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Given Bas' suggestion about Default Style, I'm guessing it is a CSS Command that Chrome is interpreting too literally as it tends to enforce rules more strictly than the other browsers. But that is strictly a guess.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It doesn't seem to be a problem with many other browsers except Chrome. I don't know that our computer gurus can fix Chrome so you both may want to switch to another browser.

NOPE! not gonna happen - Google is too "App friendly" and is up on my computer all the time - IE sucks and it takes too long for people to fix updates for Firefox...

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I doubt anyone is likely to move off of Chrome. It's far and away the most popular browser in the world these days. I can live with the blue default scheme until it gets fixed. No worries.

(Note: For debugging. The css problem isn't in all forum pages. It all works fine on "What's new.")

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I doubt anyone is likely to move off of Chrome. It's far and away the most popular browser in the world these days. I can live with the blue default scheme until it gets fixed. No worries.

(Note: For debugging. The css problem isn't in all forum pages. It all works fine on "What's new.")

It's okay for those who prefer Chrome to stay with Chrome. Who fixes it if it's embedded in the Chrome package?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
For debugging purposes, bringing up debugging in Chrome with ctrl-shift-i shows:

shows a couple of errors. Hovering over the A.css info on the bottom right expands that css name. Maybe that can help with server side debugging the issue.

Attachments

• chrome.jpg
    chrome.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 191

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I actually like the colors and fonts (are they different?) of the Default. We should look at using these colors. Definitely more modern looking.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I don't know php but have to do some front end stuff on occasion and have troubleshot my fair share of webpages not loading as expected. I noticed that Home cant find css classes like this.
<div class="structItemContainer">
<div class="structItem structItem--thread is-unread js-inlineModContainer js-threadListItem-67641" data-author="HeyDawson">

I looked at the sources to see how the pages pull in css.

From Whats New which looks find in chrome

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/forums/css.php?css=public%3Anormalize.css%2Cpublic%3Acore.less%2Cpublic%3Aapp.less&amp;s=2&amp;l=1&amp;d=1562248432&amp;k=37a2b0a06c8fd77cb951ee11d322fe09282a5ec3"/>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/forums/css.php?css=public%3Arating_stars.less%2Cpublic%3Astructured_list.less%2Cpublic%3Axfrm.less%2Cpublic%3Aextra.less&amp;s=2&amp;l=1&amp;d=1562248432&amp;k=e5fbf6f39c8adf91292b16b50257cb50ab12a1dc"/>

From Home which looks jacked in chrome

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/forums/css.php?css=public%3Anormalize.css%2Cpublic%3Acore.less%2Cpublic%3Aapp.less&amp;s=2&amp;l=1&amp;d=1562248432&amp;k=37a2b0a06c8fd77cb951ee11d322fe09282a5ec3"/>

Replace this line with the one from Whats New above and page loads right.
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/forums/A.css.php,qcss=public,P3Astructured_list.less,P2Cpublic,P3Aextra.less,as=2,al=1,ad=1562248432,ak=de17b3ddef1c2314c922b853c16a0470dc7c4119.pagespeed.cf.xvjOa98MkR.css"/>

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Here's the offending link that is presented in Chrome:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/forums/A.css.php,qcss=public,P3Astructured_list.less,P2Cpublic,P3Aextra.less,as=2,al=1,ad=1562248432,ak=de17b3ddef1c2314c922b853c16a0470dc7c4119.pagespeed.cf.xvjOa98MkR.css"/>

The above link causes a '404 not found' error.

Here's the same link that is presented in Edge:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/forums/css.php?css=public%3Astructured_list.less%2Cpublic%3Aextra.less&amp;s=2&amp;l=1&amp;d=1562248432&amp;k=de17b3ddef1c2314c922b853c16a0470dc7c4119"/>

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hmmmmmmm I am having No issues with either Firefox or Chrome on both laptop or Phone ........

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Chrome has a problem for me on this laptop but I just switched to Microsoft's browser which is working fine.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks like the PHP code where the stylesheet is injected has a typo. It creates a broken link to the stylesheet on Line 30 of a delivered page with NCWW style:

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/forums/A.css.php,qcss=public,P3Aattachments.less,P2Cpublic,P3Abb_code.less,P2Cpublic,P3Aeditor.less,P2Cpublic,P3Alightbox.less,P2Cpublic,P3Amessage.less,P2Cpublic,P3Ashare_controls.less,P2Cpublic,P3Aextra.less,as=2,al=1,ad=1562248432,ak=1869925b1b87a7233ff55a723ded818f3c1ddf97.pagespeed.cf.hps7XXBLEo.css"/>

Immediately after the page name "A.ccs.php" there is ",q" instead of "?".

With the Default style set, this line has the expected PHP variable construction, looking like this:

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/forums/css.php?css=public%3Aattachments.less%2Cpublic%3Abb_code.less%2Cpublic%3Aeditor.less%2Cpublic%3Alightbox.less%2Cpublic%3Amessage.less%2Cpublic%3Ashare_controls.less%2Cpublic%3Aextra.less&amp;s=1&amp;l=1&amp;d=1562248432&amp;k=1869925b1b87a7233ff55a723ded818f3c1ddf97"/>

Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
With all of the PHP code experts that have posted to this thread, one would hope that a solution for Chrome user would be implemented -- I've spent 13+ years enjoying our standard colors and really don't like going to the default view on blues. Besides, this issue cropped up well after the transition to XenForo. Yes, I've been using Chrome. What say you code masters?

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Unfortunately this is the type of thing that happens from time to time online. In the end when people get frustrated enough they will simply move on to what they feel are more friendly/usable sites. Hope this is not left to go on and have that start to happen here. Chrome is widely used and folks should not have to change their browsers to get the full use of the NCWW site.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Unfortunately this is the type of thing that happens from time to time online. In the end when people get frustrated enough they will simply move on to what they feel are more friendly/usable sites. Hope this is not left to go on and have that start to happen here. Chrome is widely used and folks should not have to change their browsers to get the full use of the NCWW site.
Instead of just accepting and adapting to a color change, people are going to start leaving the NCWW site??? That's an interesting theory.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
This is a free site maintained by a few hard working volunteers who have donated their valuable time over the years to keep it running, most recently by pulling off a major software conversion that took significant time and effort. Those same volunteers will eventually fix this issue as they can squeeze in time between taking care of their paying jobs, their families, and generally the things we all have to take care of that are a higher priority than this web site. Especially this time of year.

This is by no means the only site that has browser issues with differernt browsers. Some people, me included, keep multiple browsers installed just so we can switch to one that IS working ok with a particular site and get on with our day.

The demanding and complaining attitude I see from (thankfully only) a few people who should know better is not the way to motivate a volunteer into continuing to give up their time to support this site. Think about it.

Edit: I'll also point out that the error noted may only be the tip of an iceberg. It could be as simple as fixing that statement in a single spot, or it could just as easily be something that is generated at a higher level and propagated throughout the site requiring the site to be regenerated or recompiled, or whatever that process may be. It could also be a bug in the site software requiring a vendor fix. Things are almost never as simple as they appear from the outside looking in.

Last edited:

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Wasn't this fixed (by adding the question mark after "php"?) It's working for me in Chrome, but after testing it again, I switched back the default style, which I like better.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors