Pretty Darn Smart! - dust cyclone

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a great way to gain back a few square feet of shop space.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a great idea! I wonder if it would work with a Lowe's bucket........:eusa_danc
I use one of the small Ridgid shop vacs at work sometimes and this would be a great way to save $$ on the filter bags picking up coarse debris (Drywall dust, dried mud, etc.).

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Any ideas how to convert the bucket to the metric sizes for Fstool? I like the concept of the Festool or dust deputy adaptor for a dust extractor but not the cost. This necessitates both a shop vac and festool dust extractor. I,would like to eliminate the shop vac for general cleanup.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Plenty of room for modding too. Like adding a cord hanger off the plywood top section instead of having to thread the cord through the support columns. Or adding an automatic on switch.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Great find. I use this dustopper with my ridgid vac, mostly for drywall etc, and it falls over all the time. This fix will be a big improvement.
My dustopper version didn’t have the right angle connector included for the top of the dustopper. I’ve had trouble finding a matching right angle connector for the dustopper. For those with a dustopper wanting a right angle connector: There is a right angle connector solution in the YouTube comment section: buy a Lowe’s right angle brush model 906791.

So this gets two thumbs up from me overall design solution and right angle fitting source that works. :icon_thum

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As unit fills with debris, it will become top heavy. Years ago, I saw a tip of putting a weight in the bottom of vacuum to to prevent tip over.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great find. I use this dustopper with my ridgid vac, mostly for drywall etc, and it falls over all the time. This fix will be a big improvement.
My dustopper version didn’t have the right angle connector included for the top of the dustopper. I’ve had trouble finding a matching right angle connector for the dustopper. For those with a dustopper wanting a right angle connector: There is a right angle connector solution in the YouTube comment section: buy a Lowe’s right angle brush model 906791.

So this gets two thumbs up from me overall design solution and right angle fitting source that works. :icon_thum

Chris,

If you haven't found an elbow solution yet, contact Dustopper on their site. You can purchase one for $8 with free shipping. It took a week for them to respond, and almost 2 weeks for the package to arrive though.

Oneida also makes something that I think will work, but shipping alone is $10. https://goo.gl/8FJXPo

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Chris,

If you haven't found an elbow solution yet, contact Dustopper on their site. You can purchase one for $8 with free shipping. It took a week for them to respond, and almost 2 weeks for the package to arrive though.

Oneida also makes something that I think will work, but shipping alone is $10. https://goo.gl/8FJXPo
Thanks for add’l info. The Lowe’s right angle brush worked for me. The brush pulls right off and bingo. I saw in the store that they now include the adapter..

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Dustopper+Festool hack:
A woodworker used the same dustopper from HD modded to a Festool VAC. Due to some untoward bucket dimensions, he chose to cut the bucket and seal to a box. He originally posted his creation on another WW forum and after requests for plans he now sells the $10 plan on Etsy for those that don’t want to think it through.
This is an Etsy link that has pictures of the Dustopper mounted on a Festool vacuum:
Festool Dustopper Plan on Etsy
Seems pretty easy to do without a plan.
I’m going to make the one for the Ridgid first then make the Festool.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Dustopper+Festool hack:
A woodworker used the same dustopper from HD modded to a Festool VAC. Due to some untoward bucket dimensions, he chose to cut the bucket and seal to a box. He originally posted his creation on another WW forum and after requests for plans he now sells the $10 plan on Etsy for those that don’t want to think it through.
This is an Etsy link that has pictures of the Dustopper mounted on a Festool vacuum:
Festool Dustopper Plan on Etsy
Seems pretty easy to do without a plan.
I’m going to make the one for the Ridgid first then make the Festool.

That looks like a great solution for the Festool

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS