Preferred large gate hinge hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Afternoon folks!

I have an idea for a small project, and thought I'd engage the wisdom of the group before digging in.

We we have a large, deep wraparound porch along our house, that is approximately 5'-6" clear below the joists along the front, and slightly tapering (shallower) as it turns the corner to the side yard. I've decided that this would be a great spot for light outdoor storage, and covered parking for the riding mower during the mowing season. The porch is covered w/ a decent overhang beyond, so outside of a hard blowing rain, it stays dry underneath.

For access, I'm planning to replace one of the existing 8'W lattice panels on the side yard w/ 2-4' gate swing doors, (simple trussed frame/ lattice infill) to match the rest of the porch trim.

Do do any of you have any recommendations on quality hinge hardware for these relatively wide doors? I was originally leaning toward standard gate hinges, but a HD piano hinge may be a good fit here as well? I also toyed w/ the idea of an "upswing door", but ruled it out as another thing to bang my head on.

thanks guys!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No offense but this sounds like busy work without much function. Is it aesthetic for hiding the mower and implements, etc. beneath the front porch so that they aren't seen from the street?

Pokey

New User
Jerry
Heath
I use my porch to store my riding lawn mower. I have lattice around the porch. For my gates, I used large "T" hinges. I wanted the "old barn" look. My gates have been up for years and the hinges are still good. I made the handles out of pressure treated material.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks guys - no offense at all Jeff, you hit the nail on the head. There is no real street to contend with, we're roughly 300' off of the road, at the back of a large lot neighborhood, but my wife keeps a tight garden/ landscaping, and wouldn't be the biggest fan of keeping the area exposed. I can re-work the planting in the 8' area in question easily enough to create an attractive "driveway" to keep her happy, and get the mower out of the shed, at least until I build a proper barn/ shop.

thanks again guys,

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Heath,

Check out the heavy duty hinge pins that can be screwed into your support posts and corresponding hinge plates that could be added to beefed up lattice Gates found at Tractor Supply. They also carry Sliding Door hardware that would allow you to hang the lattice "door" sections and simply slide them to one side (obviously need to offset the lattice section to do this). They could hang from the underside of the deck and be pretty easy to use (my Dad had a pair of sliding basket weave doors under the porch at their old cottage property that were 6 feet high by 10 feet wide each - they worked perfectly for 25-30 years before the property was sold). Here is a link to several types of sliding door railing, door hangers and door hardware.

Hope this helps.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Heath,

Check out the heavy duty hinge pins that can be screwed into your support posts and corresponding hinge plates that could be added to beefed up lattice Gates found at Tractor Supply. They also carry Sliding Door hardware that would allow you to hang the lattice "door" sections and simply slide them to one side (obviously need to offset the lattice section to do this). They could hang from the underside of the deck and be pretty easy to use (my Dad had a pair of sliding basket weave doors under the porch at their old cottage property that were 6 feet high by 10 feet wide each - they worked perfectly for 25-30 years before the property was sold). Here is a link to several types of sliding door railing, door hangers and door hardware.

Hope this helps.

Hey Heath,
+1 on the hinge pins. Think they have them at lowes, probably HD also.

plcrawfo

Philip
User
Heath,

I built some very heavy, wide gates when I built my fence a few years ago at our last house. I used strap hinges fromhttp://www.snugcottagehardware.com. I actually think I have a set left over for a 4 ft gate. They're black powder coated, and I was extremely pleased with them. Im just north of you in pittsboro. If you'd like to check them out, I'll dig through the garage and see if I can find them.

Philip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS