pre finishing before glue up

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I'm building a chest of drawers with maple and walnut. With all those internal guides, dividers and parts, I would like to pre-finish many of the pieces. I usually mask off any glueable areas, like dadoes, before I spray one or two coats of de-waxed shellac. Is that really necessary? How much would shellac de-grade the holding power of a glue joint?

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Do Mask. Shellac is one of the best wood sealers. Wood glue needs to penetrate the surface of the wood to ensure a good bond. Take a piece of scrap wood and shellac it. Then put some wood glue on the surface to dry. After drying, most of the wood glue will easily peel off, proving the point.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Do Mask. Shellac is one of the best wood sealers. Wood glue needs to penetrate the surface of the wood to ensure a good bond. Take a piece of scrap wood and shellac it. Then put some wood glue on the surface to dry. After drying, most of the wood glue will easily peel off, proving the point.

+1 to Matt's point. The only time I don't mask is if I'm coloring wood w/ a water soluble dye.

Newboy

George
User
I try to finish anything I can prior to assembly. I mask the tenons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Agrees with all of the above. I have stated to do a lot of finishing before assembly. I always tape connections. :icon_thum

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I work with the custom shop at Marsh, we always pre finish the interiors of the products before assembly. Masking off all joinery areas is common to insure a proper bond with the adhesive. On my personal projects I do the same, and I fined that the extra time masking off these areas to time well invested.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Is that really necessary? How much would shellac de-grade the holding power of a glue joint?

The holding power will be de-graded more than 95%.

Quote from the artice below:

"Effective mechanical interlocking takes place when adhesives penetrate beyond the surface debris and damaged fibers into sound wood two to six cells deep. Deeper penetration into the fine microstructure increases the surface area of contact between adhesive and wood for more effective mechanical interlocking. The most durable structural bonds to wood are believed to develop not only when an adhesive penetrates deeply into cell cavities, but also when an adhesive diffuses into cell walls to make molecular-level contact with the hemicellulosics and cellulosics of wood. If an adhesive penetrates deeply enough into sound wood and becomes rigid enough upon curing, the strength of the bond can be expected to exceed the strength of the wood"

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/fpl_pdfs/ch09.pdf

Last edited:

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Thanks to all of you. I was pretty sure this would be the case. But I'm always looking to a short cut I didn't know about.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors