Practice, practice, practice

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This is true. When I was younger I used to play music professionally. People would ask how did you get so good at it. Practice ....... 1st practice to improve technique, then once you know what is not up to par, practice in the morning the stuff you are weak at. It is important to recognize where your weaknesses are, so you can work to improve them. Human nature is to only do what you are good at thus, never really improving.
This explains interviews I have had with potential hire-es who have 15-20 years experience in carpentry and cannot hang a door or cut a roof. Practice and stumbling is the only way to get better.
But, when practicing ALWAYS make sure you are thinking and focusing on what you are doing, otherwise, it is not practicing, it is just doing.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Malcolm Gladwell in his book Outliers said it took 10,000 hours to become great at something. The Beatles did all those gigs in Germany before their big hits. Bill Gates had access to a computer in his high school.

Roy G

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I disagree somewhat with this article. Practice doesn't make perfect - practicing the correct technique makes perfect. We've all seen some videos on YouTube that show techniques that are (to be kind) dubious. Practicing these techniques only perfects the wrong way of doing something. I must admit I'm guilty of doing that on occasion. Practicing bad habits only perfects bad habits. Learn the proper techniques from someone you trust to be knowledgeable, and practice those techniques. That's the ticket.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Practice doesn't make perfect - practicing the correct technique makes perfect.
Absolutely - although in ww-ing the 'correct' technique is dependent on multiple variables (tool set available, type of construction, type of finish, etc). Correct technique of course matters, both in safety and results.
What is correct in one instance is not always correct in another. Your well demonstrated methods for making a harpsichord aren't necessarily completely transferrable to general furniture making, or deck building, or ....

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Absolutely - although in ww-ing the 'correct' technique is dependent on multiple variables (tool set available, type of construction, type of finish, etc). Correct technique of course matters, both in safety and results.
What is correct in one instance is not always correct in another. Your well demonstrated methods for making a harpsichord aren't necessarily completely transferrable to general furniture making, or deck building, or ....
No argument there. There are usually several ways to do something "properly".
What concerns me are folks who will waste time practicing techniques that are dangerous and/or obviously wrong. For example, learning a table saw technique from a guy who cross cuts a piece of wood without a miter gauge or sled. While some pro carpenters might do this, it's still dangerous - why practice this?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS