Power Sanding for Woodturning

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I am a woodturner.I make flutes and bowls...Ive done it a while...more or less self taught except for the ?s Ive asked everybody.

Anyhow I have some arthritis in my hands...Dr. says he is pretty sure it is the osteoarthritis or the kind from overuse. It doesnt look like the rheumatoid kind to him...

Anyhow the arthritis bothers me some and I want to keep doing as much as I can. Sanding the flutes and bowls bother me. I use a "Sanding Wonder" and it is great but I was thinking about power sanding.I have plenty of 2" ,3" and even 5" hook and loop pads that I got from Vinces WoodsNWonders. I want a good right angle or close quarter one. I have heard a drill doesnt last very long sanding and even if you have something that is a sander you have to blow it out .Anyhow I am very open to suggestions. Thanks a bunch!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Mike, I have been using the cheap ($25-30)Harbor Freight angle drill for years with no problem.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I got the one Klingspor has, it’s a little awkward to handle but is powerful and feels solid like it will run for many years. It works great for bowls inside and outside.

But on the lathe for long slender shapes like flutes I would, and do, use 2 inch rolls of cloth backed sandpaper from Klingspor. I tear off 12-14 inch pieces, hold each end in my hands with the cloth half wrapped around the work and let the lathe run on low speed while I move the cloth from end to end. I have a rack with 5 different progressive grits right over the lathe so I can tear off sandpaper as I need it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS