Powder Post Beetle wood sterilization unit

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I made a headboard out of some rough cut pine I had milled several years ago. The last few weeks I've kept hearing what sounds like bugs munching on wood. I have no idea if PPB can be heard munching, but when I checked the back, one board had tracks in it.

I made this box to sterilize the board. I have a couple of oil filled heaters directly under said board. Currently holding at about 145. Will keep it there for at least 2 hours to kill and buggers, hopefully. Hoping I dont hear that munching sound tonight.

The board isnt as close to the top of the heater as it appears.

Attachments

• 20230205_125630.jpg
    20230205_125630.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 89
  • 20230205_125653.jpg
    20230205_125653.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
  • 20230205_125703.jpg
    20230205_125703.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 86

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I think 133 degrees at the core for at least 30 minutes is the minimum for insects. Key point is that has to be the temp all the way to the deepest part of the wood, not just the surface. Hopefully someone experienced in it can give you an idea of how long it takes to heat all the way to the center.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Years ago, I harvested some oak from the ECU campus (with permission). The tree's came down, and I cherry picked pieces and loaded them into the truck. Took them home and immediately put them in the attached garage till I could start processing the for bowls. In less than 2 weeks I could hear the crunching sound - amazing how loud it is. Mostly the bugs were working the phloem, I think.

After the bowls were roughed out they had a nice long soak in a soap solution (I use Ajax mostly) and then packed in shavings until the weight stabilized. Didn't see signs of more damage after that and during final turning.

Noisy eaters for sure.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
133 deg F at the core is right. When I sterilize wood in my dry kiln, I take a sample board of the same species and size (or a little thicker) and drill a hole in the end grain. I insert a thermocouple and seal it in place with putty to keep the air flow from affecting the temperature. Turn on the heat and wait for a reading of 133. Depending on the amount of wood in the kiln it is usually done in ~12 hrs. Most of what I mill and dry is 1" to 2" thick.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS