Potential Raleigh Oak Lumber Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Yep, my order looks good, and I would also be interested in some of that sycamore if its going to be available. Let me know.

Regards,
Mike

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff,

Please confirm me for 100 bf of QSWO.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
J

jeff...

First 35lbs of steel arrive from the brown truck guy - it's a box of 15 coiled up rattle snakes - well at least the 13' 2" long bands will cut you up like a rattle snake when you try and get them out of the box. I went with Wood Mizer .045 9 degree hook angle for this job instead of my normal Lenox .042 4 degree - I want to give these .045 9's a try since I've heard lots of good things about them. Plus they are MADE IN USA - it's our little way of stimulating the economy :)
P101000234.JPG

- I'll try and post WIP pics.

Thanks

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff to Jeff,

These look pretty nice in the box, but I noted your comment about rattlesnakes out of the box. I'm looking forward to helping out where I can and maybe take a stint on the Wood-Mizer. Should be interesting and informative. Can you stand a 60 year old with a gimp knee on the worksite? Doesn't matter to me because a little hard work doesn't hurt anyone whatever their age.

Thanks and give me a call/email so I'll know dates and coordinates.

:tool:

J

jeff...

JimThomasson RO 4/4 100BF QS Confirmed

Did you ever set prices?

Jim no I havn't but I'm going to keep track of time and materials and set a price that's fair to everyone. I'll know more when I start to get into the work and will be sure to post a good estimate a soon as I get a handle on what the price will be.

Thanks

J

jeff...

I made some flat square ones out of round ones today. Anyways I covered everyone who wanted 8/4 with one big ole WO log - the boards are 24" wide and 12' long or 48BF however you want to count it. I know I at least cut 10 of them. I'm calling them diving boards and they are freaking heavy weighing in at close to 250 lbs each, to heavy for me to lift by myself. I sure am glad I got a bobcat to do the grunt work for me. Mr. Sawduster I didn't forget about you either, I cut your ONE board - it's the same as the diving boards just a bit thinner 4/4 x 24" x 12' or 24BF or around 125 lbs:gar-Bi.

J

jeff...

More economic stimulating stuff came today - 4 loops of chain, a grinding brick and a couple of grinding wheels all Made in USA :thumbs_up - hey if your going to be cutting logs you need your chains to stay sharp and nothing better than a Made in USA chain sharpener to do it :)

P101000326.JPG

BTW - if you have not yet confirmed your order - let me know if your still wanting the lumber or not. If not - no worries, I'll can open yours back up to other members. If you still want it, then that's cool too.

Remember I have about 9 - 8/4 x 24" wide x 12' long WO diving boards left, that I'll be taking to Scott's to be kiln dried. You guys said you like wide stuff... didn't you? I try and snap some pics - but each one weighs about 250 lbs so they are a little hard for me to move around. Isn't it odd that SawDuster has not confirmed his ONE board yet :icon_scra

Thanks

J

jeff...

Jeff,

I'll take 2 QS diving boards, 3 if I'm not being a hog. Still want the other stuff.

Steve

Steve I should have clarified the diving boards are not QS. But with a log that big you get a good mix of QS ~ FS grain more QS around the center of the log - I'm sure you find a few diving boards to you liking if not then no worries. My daughter counted 127 growth rings in that log before she could not count anymore around the pith - it's some pretty good old growth stuff with tight grain.

Jeff,

I still want them. I'm finishing off a pile of air dried WO that came from a yard tree that was 39" in diameter on the small end of the 3rd log up. I had it QS'ed. Some of the boards were 20" wide. I just hit a lead ball with the planer that was near the center of the tree. Nice and soft, luckily. It didn't even nick the planer blades. It must have been a very old slug since it was near the heart of such an old tree. I kept the remainder as a souvenier. Can't wait til our wood comes out of the kiln.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS