Possible Wood Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Callihan

New User
Mike
For those of you who aren’t familiar with my situation; I am in the process of downsizing my shop in anticipation of a move from NC to OH. I currently have a 2300 sq ft workshop as well as an out building; both are full of “stuff’. Moving it to a basement shop just isn’t in the cards.

The reason for this post is that over the years, like most woodworkers, I have collected and horded wood. At one time my “round-to-it” list was very ambitious and I purchased furniture grade lumber as I found it. As a result I have accumulated several thousand board feet of prime furniture grade material. The bulk of what I have is hard maple, figured and wide board stock. BTW all the maple is from northern WI and MI. I also have quite a bit of cherry and walnut. There is also a considerable amount of turning stock as well as matched 3 X 3 leg sets. Specialty boards like spalted maple and other odd ball stuff that I felt at one time would make neat door panels. It really is difficult to describe the inventory other to say at one time I had more disposable income than I had common sense.:rotflm:

I have no desire to move this inventory with me so I need to find a deserving home for it. The reason for this post is to explore an idea I have had bouncing around in my head since I found this group. I would like to try to determine how much, if any, interest there might if I held a series of open houses in my shop to try and sell off this material. I am located in rural Yancey County, NC just outside of Burnsville. My place is just 45 minutes north of downtown Asheville.

What I have been kicking around would be scheduling a couple of 3 day weekends where I would be available for ppl to drop in and do a little lumber shopping. One of the weekends could be scheduled to coincide with the Arden Gathering.There would also be a few tools available as well. While I don’t anticipate give away pricing for the lumber it would be a bargain when compared to similar wood on the retail market. Negotiation for larger lots would be encouraged. I really just want to find a good home for this material since I love good wood and it is getting harder and harder to find.:gar-Cr

I’m not looking for any commitments; I’m just trying to gage how much interest there might be. If you might be interested in a lumber shopping trip to Burnsville please post it in this thread.

Thank You; Mike Callihan.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Mike,

I would be very interested in some Cherry and maple (price dependent because I live south of Raleigh). What are the common lengths?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Defnitely interested in any and everything you may have to sell.

Just so you know, I am horrendously infected with woodguy disease. It takes inordinate amounts of cast iron, steel, and wood to qualm it.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Mike,
I'm interested but will need to coordinate with others the get wood to Apex. I'm as bad as you. I have two kids getting married in the next two months and still looking to buy more wood.

Jeff

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Mike,
I would be interested in the maple,cherry,walnut and the turning stock in of course reasonable quantities.(My wife might see this).Any excuse for a ride up in that area!

Threejs

New User
David
Since my todo list is much longer than my non-existant supply of wood, I would be interested in buy some of the maple, when you are ready.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Possibly interested here. I need to use up some of my current stash to make room for more :wsmile:. I'd also be interested in any tools you have for sale - so far I've wanted about 90% of the stuff you've sold ;).

Also, NCWoodworker gatherings seem to be enjoyable anyway.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I'm always interested in nice walnut, or any kind of unique "stash-worthy" material. I'm not far away from you, and have several trucks and trailers. Keep me posted as this develops.

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Ya know.....I would love some woood to make a couple of things for the living room...to add some flavor to my custom hardwood floor...Count me in.
David:gar-Bi

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'm definitely interested in cherry, walnut, or maple if there's anybody from my area (Raleigh area) that can bring it back. I'll chip in for gas.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors