Possible Outreach day in Dobson/Surry County.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What do y'all think about this? August of 2018.

Mike,

I am working on an event and just getting the plans together for August of 2018. I just wanted to get some details of what you and your group offer and let you know that I was planning a large community/recruitment program for Girl Scouts of Surry County. I am 100% in the planning stages but thought I would see if you would be interested in helping out and working outside of Stokes County to reach more girls.
This event is going to be a STEM type of event. To show girls all the kinds of mathmatics and engineering that is needed to create the beautiful pieces that your group creates. The measurements and precision alone falls into the STEM program.
I am looking for a festival type of day where girls can be engaged and walk away with something. Also learn something. I have a hot air balloon coming so far, fire departments, rescue squads, pinewoods derby cars, lego robots, and a possible black smith along with other ideas brewing.
STEM stands for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics. This is a large draw for girls. I will be renting out Fisher River Park in Dobson the Saturday before school starts and using the open houses to promote the event for girls to come check out the fun ways we learn in Girl Scouting. Surry United Fund is sponsoring this event for me to help grow Girl Scouts in Surry county and registered girls and girls that sign up will get a t shirt and patch if they check out and participate in all of the educational/community agencies. I have troops that will teach them how to make slime and bouncy balls along with other cool science experiments.
We will end our day with a traditional Girl Scout campfire by roasting hotdogs s'mores and sing songs.
I love that you can teach them different aspects of woodworking as well. We are also looking for that festival vibe where they will be stopping by to see what kind of fun they can have. We have the potential to have a lot of girls since we will be inviting all 300 registered girls from Surry county and trying to recruit girls from all public schools of Surry county.
Like I said this is in the very early planning stages. I have to have my first project plan to the Surry United Fund Allocation Committee by Nov 9th.

Valerie

Valerie King
Membership Manager Development
Caswell, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin Counties

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, depending on the date in AUG 2018; I will step up for this. If it falls in the first 10 calendar days then I will have to withdraw due to my duties with my employer.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Lets put it on the calendar Mike. Tell them we are on board. This will be out August event.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Lets put it on the calendar Mike. Tell them we are on board. This will be out August event.
I do agree that this would be a great event. It would be a second event in august. We already do a yearly one in August

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, I think we need to keep the agriculture event in mind.

ill contact Reggie and see if they know what date that event will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS