Portable planers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemgem

New User
Charles
I intend to purchase a small 12 1/2-13" planer this year. If anyone has info on whats available and recommendations for the best model I sure would appreciate any info. I just don't trust the manufactures blurbs any more.

Thanks
cemgem :rotflm:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Depending on your price range and how quickly you need one, the DW-735 w/ outfeed tables is the most recommended planer I've seen! I own the DW-734 and it's been a stellar performer.

Use craigslist to your advantage!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
In my humble opinion, the DW735 can't be beat for the money, :icon_thumunless you need something larger. I've put several thousand bf through two 735's and never had a real problem. Blades can be expensive if you buy DW brand, BUT, Infinity makes a better blade for less money.

M2CW

:wsmile:

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
The current Wood Magazine (#196, March 2010) reviews benchtop planers in what I think is a very useful, fair and well-written article. It rates the DeWalt DW735 ($650) and Makita 202NB ($530) as Top Tool, and the Ridgid R4330 ($370) and Craftsman 21758 ($280) as Top Value. Good analysis of snipe, cleanness of cut, power, etc.

I have an old (grey) Ridgid TP1300 two-knife planer and love it, it is a real workhorse that I found on craigslist for $180. My local Home Depot (Apex) has a re-furbished three-knife Ridgid planer for $300--at half the price of the DeWalt, I would be picking it up if I didn't already have one!

Bryan S

Bryan
The current Wood Magazine (#196, March 2010) reviews benchtop planers in what I think is a very useful, fair and well-written article. It rates the DeWalt DW735 ($650) and Makita 202NB ($530) as Top Tool, and the Ridgid R4330 ($370) and Craftsman 21758 ($280) as Top Value. Good analysis of snipe, cleanness of cut, power, etc.

Steve beet me to this.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I have an old (grey) Ridgid TP1300 two-knife planer and love it, it is a real workhorse that I found on craigslist for $180. My local Home Depot (Apex) has a re-furbished three-knife Ridgid planer for $300--at half the price of the DeWalt, I would be picking it up if I didn't already have one!

+1 on the Ridgid

Glennbear

Glenn
I have a DW735 and I am quite pleased with it. I made my decision based on several laudatory reviews and the experiences of other NCWW members.:wsmile:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
According to the Mar 2010 issue of Wood mag, Delta is coming out with a three head cutter model similar to the discontinued 22-580 in the $450 price range. May be worth waiting for.

I have the DeWalt 734 and it is very good. The one feature that the 735 has that I would love to have is the on-board chip ejector fan.

Go

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I'll put in another vote for the Ridgid 4330. Picked mine up re-furbished for around $280 to replace a Ryobi AP12. The three blade cutter head really leaves a nice smooth finish. Dust collection has been very good.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
+1 for the DW735. I have had one for about 6 years with nary a hiccup! The two speed/three blade system works great and leaves a smooth surface.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS