Popular Woodworking Stepladder

joec

joe
User
I am building the stepladder that was shown in a spring issue of Popular Woodworking. I have almost finished it and it calls for a leather strap on each side to be the angle restraint. One one side of the folding step ladder. I have never worked with leather before and do not know where to find it, cut it etc. I guess I will try hobby lobby. Anyone with any experience with leather? It is attached with small nails or anything that i like. Decorative brass nails would work.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I am building the stepladder that was shown in a spring issue of Popular Woodworking. I have almost finished it and it calls for a leather strap on each side to be the angle restraint. One one side of the folding step ladder. I have never worked with leather before and do not know where to find it, cut it etc. I guess I will try hobby lobby. Anyone with any experience with leather? It is attached with small nails or anything that i like. Decorative brass nails would work.
Maybe a photo?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I usually get leather from either Tandy or Zack White. Unfortunately they are in Raleigh and Ramseur so pretty far from Wilmington. That said, I suggest oval head screws and countersunk finish washers to attach the leather straps to the wood ladder. Less chance of tearing through the leather.

An alternative source for making leather straps would be heavier work belts or old style weight lifting belts.

Good luck with your search.

cmboggs

Chris
User
Oddly enough a good source of leather are jackets and purses from consignment shops. You can get a TON of leather just from one jacket. The same goes for old belts.

joec

joe
User
Maybe a photo?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You could probably use a couple of old leather belts. The plan says that each strap is 18" l x 1.25"w.

{QUOTE] Instead of nylon, I used 8-9oz. leather straps 11/4″ wide. The straps are attached to the legs using 3/4″ copper tacks 3 1/2″ from the bottom of the legs.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Nice step ladder. I think I might have used leather for the straps and instead of nails, I would have used bronze oval-head screws with trim washers.

joec

joe
User
I am going to run by a shoe repair place and see if they can cut what I want. I do not want it to be too stiff and not fold up easily, but also stiff enough not to stretch.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors