poplar slab for a bar top??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Looking for some advice on whether a poplar slab is suitable to use as a bar top? I'll be making this for a friend. They've found a reasonable priced slab already. I have very little experience working with poplar. Is it too soft or will it hold up ok?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I bought a few poplar slabs from a guy in TN several years ago. One of them was very hard and almost looked like maple. I think its called tulip poplar?

I made sawhorses out of it. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sawhorse.JPG
    sawhorse.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 215

Jeff

New User
Jeff
On the East Coast we usually find lots of tulip poplar (aka poplar, local vernacular). It should make a fine bar top and it's not too soft for this use. Besides, they aren't going to be beating on the top and it'll develop a bit more character with a few dings and scratches anyway.

Janka hardness
Tulip poplar(yellow poplar)540
Cherry950
Red maple (soft maple)950
Eastern white pine380

There are lots of bar top epoxy coatings but I don't think it's necessary and don't care for the glassy, plastic look.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Looking for some advice on whether a poplar slab is suitable to use as a bar top? I'll be making this for a friend. They've found a reasonable priced slab already. I have very little experience working with poplar. Is it too soft or will it hold up ok?

Should be fine. With any wide slab, make sure that it's fully dry, sterile and that you finish all sides of the slab.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Poplar looks really good with lots of dark walnut stain and polyurethane

Really, any stain built around reds and browns tends to go well with Poplar, whereas stains centered around yellow tend to come out looking more sickly (IMHO, others are welcome to disagree).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS