Poplar Planter Stands

bainin

New User
bainin
I did a few of these to pass around on Mothers Day. The gift recipients have really liked them.
I liked the simplicity of the build and the challenge addition for me to create mortise/tenon joints for the cross members to attach to the legs.
You can see on that closest tenon - it was too large and offset on the board face...made for interesting adjustments later to get things to line up :)

After the first one, I made a 2nd set - which came out better from an execution point of view. A couple coats of poly, no staining. The poplar is a nice
warm color on its own.

b

planterpieces1.jpg
planterpieces2.jpg
planterpieces3.jpg

Trey1984

Trey
User
Looks really nice. Great work and that popular does have nice color to it. Really like the finish. Did you spray, brush ??? How did you apply the poly?

bainin

New User
bainin
Thank you for your comments - I'm ok with constructive criticism as well-if it educates me :)

I wiped on the poly using a soft rag...very thin coats-i like this method as it dries very fast and you can move on to the next coat after about an hour.

I didn't work from a plan, I had that planter image shown on the piece of paper in the first pic as a general guide.

Its been a few weeks, but I may have written down the dimensions I finally incorporated- I will check-if its comprehendable-I will add on to this thread.

b

Colin Helms

Colin
User
Bainin, I really do like what you built. I too would like to get the information with the dimensions. Looking forward to your next post.

Colin

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
They both look great, but I'm afraid the taller one wouldn't be practical with pets - unless they are in an aquarium.

bainin

New User
bainin
They both look great, but I'm afraid the taller one wouldn't be practical with pets - unless they are in an aquarium.

Yes- actually getting plants off the ground level is required in our home, the cat likes to nibble on them. You are right though, stability would be an issue with bigger pets banging into it.

b

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS