Poplar Exterior use

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeeves

New User
dwight
I am thinking about making a number of adirondack chairs. using poplar they will be painted. and for outdoor use. Has anyone use poplar for this type of project. If so how did it hold up. Thanks to all in advance Dwight

PS I want to use poplar because forthe paint finish,cost.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Poplar would be fine to use, as long as it is well painted and the paint finish is maintained well. You might consider using an epoxy on the parts, like the bottom of the legs, that would have direct ground contact.
I want to see some pictures when you're finished :icon_thum

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Dwight,

If I were you, I'd make them from Cypress instead of Poplar. Cypress will hold up very well outdoors, with or without paint. It paints well, too. Cost-wise, it is a little more expensive than poplar (~$2.70/BF versus $2.00/BF), but it will last much, much longer. Poplar is also too soft, IMHO. Just my .02

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks Rob, I withheld comment, but considered that poplar may not fare so well out doors. I like Cypress myself, all trim work of a beach house I stayed in last year was done in it. PRETTY!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rob, I would agree with you on Cypress's resistance to rot. But with a well maintained coating of paint that really isn't a factor. As far as hardness, Cypress is only slightly harder than Poplar with a Janka rating of 570 to Poplar's rating of 540. For comparison Southern Red Oak is 1060 on the Janka scale. And Poplar is more readily available that Cypress.
Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
A few years back there was a push to use poplar to replace "west coast lumber" in the building trades. Rot resistance was almost non existant in the poplar. Much better suited for interior work, protected from the weather.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dwight,

If I were you, I'd make them from Cypress instead of Poplar. Cypress will hold up very well outdoors, with or without paint. It paints well, too. Cost-wise, it is a little more expensive than poplar (~$2.70/BF versus $2.00/BF), but it will last much, much longer. Poplar is also too soft, IMHO. Just my .02

Rob

Dwight, you can get Cypress from Turn Bull Lumber for around .90 - 1.00 BF air dried to app 15-18%. See Region 4 wood dealers on drop down Where Are ? menu above. I have purchased 250BF from them in the past year and was very satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors