Poor Man's Hoist

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I don’t know how much a Jet 1840EVS lathe headstock weighs, but it’s clearly more than my senior body could dead lift onto the lathe bed. After considering that most of my friends are my age with varying knee and shoulder issues and some head-scratching, I came up with what I hoped was a solution. Two reasonably robust ratchet tie-downs were hooked securely to two basement floor joists. Then, two ratchet clicks at a time, the headstick was slowly lifted to where it could be rotated an guided onto the bed way. Problem solved. No damage, no injuries.
Headstock Lift 1.jpg
Headstock Lift 2.jpg
index.php

Attachments

• Headstock Lift 3.jpg
    Headstock Lift 3.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 701

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Ed, great solution to a problem those of us past a "certain age" can readily identify. My friends have bad knees, hips, backs, etc. so I have had to come up with some innovative solutions, too. That said, occasionally I simply have no choice but to bug some of my younger neighbors!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
You showed me the entire rig with one small exception. How did you hook it on the floor joist? I may well use this idea my old 80 year old back is not up to this kind of lifting.

Pop

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
You showed me the entire rig with one small exception. How did you hook it on the floor joist? I may well use this idea my old 80 year old back is not up to this kind of lifting.

Pop
Sorry. Bad omission.
Nothing fancy. A scrap piece of 4/4 hardwood across two joists with four 5/16" x 2.5" lag bolts. A 3/8" lag hook is threaded through the hardwood plank with an extra piece of hardwood backing it up and giving dome added depth for the hook threads to sink into. the piece of welded chain simply gave me the extra length needed to compensate for the length of the tie-down straps. It seemed to work without any signs of undue strain.

Note: The bent nail in the chain had nothing whatsoever to do with what I was doing. It was leftover from another task.

I did need to stop about a third of the way up and place a support under the headstock so I could take the strain off the straps and unwind them on the ratchets. They had wound to a point where the ratchet mechanism couldn't accept any more turns.

Hope that makes sense and that it helps.
20191207_164721[1].jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nicely done Ed. I’m a big fan of ratcheting straps myself, I used those to hoist my cyclone into position.

cyclone_raising1.jpg

More importantly, congrats on the new tool!

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Nicely done Ed. I’m a big fan of ratcheting straps myself, I used those to hoist my cyclone into position.

cyclone_raising1.jpg

More importantly, congrats on the new tool!

I recently helped procure a similar and very top heavy Grizzly cyclone for the Habitat for Humanity shop in Winston. In that instance, we were fortunate enough to have the HfH warehouse fork lift to do the heavy work on what (as you know) is a high and precarious lift. Your strap solution was no less effective. Thanks for the congrats. The lathe was a big upgrade for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS