Poll: Quick Workshop Survey - Plug or Unplug

Do you keep your bench tools Plugged In or Unplugged when not in use.

• Plugged In

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Unplugged

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Plugged. Like others, separate shop building and no kids. Occasional use machines like my planer and shaper that are on wheels don't get plugged in until I roll them into place for use.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My hand held power tools all have a cord length of around 8 inches. (got really tired of untangling power cords) I have an 12 ft. extension cord hanging under my work bench. That's what powers those tools. I NEVER leave a extension cord plugged up if I'm not in the shop.

Pop

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I voted unplugged. Table saw is in the center of the room and planer was till it died on me.

Shop Vac stays plugged in. Never thought about unplugging that one. Then I realized the band saw [on the wall] is usually plugged in and the bench sander that sits on the cabinet in a corner is usually plugged in.

Don't think the grandkiddos could reach either the band saw or sander on/off switches, but that won't last much longer. I'll likely start unplugging them as well.

Had thought at one time [may still] to plug all power tools into circuit # 1 and just pop the GFI when not using anything. That and/or the breaker. I can then use circuit # 2 for everything else.

Center table tools will still get unplugged.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
I was debating on how to answer since I have a mix, but when I keyed on the poll is for bench tools it made it easy. Unplugged until I move them into place and use them. Stationary tools are a different matter and it depends on location in the shop.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
My shop space has historically been the garage of previous homes - I've had a separate subpanel wired into each w/ separate circuits for each wall/ major tool, and a central/ lockable disconnect for everything outside of the garage lights and garage door openers, (which were wired into the main panel inside the house). Whole house surge protection wired into the mains. Best of both worlds in my opinion - good luck!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I Always unplug all cutting tools except the drill press, just better safety measure. Also, FYI this goes for alot of things in the house that eat power that most people do not realize. Run through surge protector power strips. Then it is easy just to turn the power strips off and all things plugged into them are de-engerized.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I've always kept my machines plugged in, however recently I've actually been shutting it off by the main breaker since my father-in-law, who has dementia, has wandering to my shop once or twice. I thought it was safer and easier just to cut the power rather than unplug everything.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Fixed tools stay plugged in. Hand held tools get unplugged. I have a dedicated shop, separate from the garage, and no one around except my wife and I.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
All stationary tools plugged in and sometimes a 5" RO Sander will remain plugged in. I was a volunteer firefighter for over 30 years and don't remember a fire started by a power tool, but I do know of a Nova Scotia woodworker whose shop fire was caused by a hand held power tool when he wasn't in the shop. I also remember a work shop that had significant smoke and water damage when lightning came into a dorm size refrigerator. Just want to make sure your electrical service and wiring is well grounded, and your tools the same. My separate free standing shop also has a metal roof and lightning rods for added protection.
You can buy a small electrical connector that is the size a 110v plug. It has LEDs that light to tell you if you have a good grounded circuit. They cost less than $10 as I remember, but the memory doesn't work as well as my tools.

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plugged in. All stationary tools plus hand-held power tools if I use them often. I am careful to unplug my glue pot and heat gun when not in use.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I'm unplugged and in some cases breakers off and shop locked. I'm not that concerned about fire but I am concerned about visitors. Though it was long ago I remember too well being a kid. I figure the more hurdles I can throw in the way of a curious kid the safer we all will be. Table saw, I drop the blade and position the fence over the slot. Band saw, I drop the guides and lock them down. Any little thing will make a difference.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Not sure what the definition of “Bench Tools” are?

If the OP meant portable power tools, I have too many to fit on a bench and more than I have 110V electrical outlets. They all have a storage place on a rack in their cases and are only plugged in when in use.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I get the safety aspect for those with shops that are multi use spaces that others travel through and/or go to. Especially kids who can be quite curious. But I don't get the fire aspect. The only thing I make sure I unplug is a small space heater I use in the shop in the winter. I consider it a bit of a hazard with all the dust around but as long as I am in there, I figure I can shut if off and put out anything that occurs. But I do not consider shop tools to be a fire hazard any more than my double ovens which are hard wired or my cooktop, or my dishwasher, or my refrigerator, or my two heat pumps or many other devices. Any of them could start a fire but they almost certainly won't.

My small dedicated shop has only two 20A 110V circuits for tools and a 15A circuit for the lights, all on a GFCI. I could trip them easily without affecting the rest of the house. But I don't get why I should. It's easier to just lock up the shop.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Everything stays plugged in, at least everything that I was using last, but the breakers get turned off when I leave my dedicated shop, which is kept locked when I'm not there working.

Charley

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
This is a very interesting poll. Lots of points of view. It all goes to show go to 10 different woodshops and find 10 different ways of doing things. There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way just the way the woodworker likes. This is the important point it's what you feel comfortable working with.

Pop :)

richlife

New User
Rich
I no longer have most of my large tools, but mostly keep my miter saw, drill press and router table plugged. They are a bit awkward to unplug. My planer and bench band saw I try to leave unplugged though my grandsons are old enough now to understand the danger. But for teens, understanding and leaving it alone can be a bit dicey.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS